• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I got my overflow box yesterday and it looks very solid. I really like it alot. And I tested it out and U-Tube works very well and it's pretty safe as well.

Right now, I am thinking about just put clear plastic tube to connect. However, I really like to make my own plumbing stuffs with PVC (what is this stand for?). But I have no idea how to do this kind of stuffs. Is there any good instruction I can follow? Like it tells me what kind of glue I need and what kind of tools I need, that kind of stuffs.

Thanks.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
you have to pretty much figure out in your mind how you want your plumbing. this way you can pretty much know how much pvc,elbows,unions, etc to buy. go to the hardware store and dry fit all the pieces just to make sure everything is the right size. the glue should be very easy to find, it should be located rihgt by the pvc. it's a small metal can. try to get the clear glue it just looks better. that purple glue makes everything look messy.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
To glue the PVC together you want to use both PVC Primer(The purple stuff) and PVC glue(The clear stuff).

Other than that as far as tools go you could use a PVC cutter to cut the PVC or you could use a hacksaw. It's as simple as applying Primer to the inside of both the pieces you want to join, letting it sit for a few seconds then applying the glue to both pieces and quickly fitting them together.

Once they set in place(after 5 seconds or so) they aren't going to move at all, so make sure you get it right.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I would go PVC ([SIZE=-1]A polymer of vinyl chloride) in Lowes or Home Depot they sell a PVC "kit" which has a small can of primer (purple) and solvent (clear) you 100% must use both. As nanoreefer mentioned after a few seconds the two pieces of PVC will be solved together and they'll be one piece. It's very easy to work with just do it outside! Fumes are pretty bad with PVC. YOu can get a PVC cutter which looks like garden shears for pretty cheap and they work very well up to about 1" diameter.

I like PVC much more then clear tube because:
1. Clear tube can fail.
2. Clear tube will grow algae in it.
3. It's not PVC :)

As nanoreefer said, you apply primer to each side, to soften the plastic, then the solvent (clear) and push the two pieces together and do a quarter turn to make sure the solvent gets everywhere. You then hold it together tightly for 30 seconds and presto! All sealed.

[/SIZE]

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
ok, I think I am going to the lowes during lunch time. I have one question. From overflow box manual, it said I need 1 inch tube. But it looks way bigger than 1". So I measured the diameter and it is close to 1.75 inches. Maybe he send me the wrong pipe. Is there a pipe which conver cerntain size of the pipe to small or bigger size? What is that call?

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Which Lowes are you going to? The one on 303 in Rockland? If you are I am about a mile away from them and if you want to stop by I could help you out and then send you off to Lowes.....Tim

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
guys, I just finished my pvc setup on my overflow box, it was quite fun. It was like playing with lego, lol. Anyway, thanks for all the help. Now I need to figure out how to setup my return pump setup but I am going to use my clear vinyl tube for now.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: