• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I am in the process of building a 112 gal Starphire glass tank, 36 long, 24 wide, 30 high.
For anyone out there in NY who might ever want to build their own glass tank as well,
I can save you a lot of time and grief- read on!
This took me 6 days to do on the phone , along with plenty of aggravation - time and frustration I can save you!
I actually called every single glass place in the yellow pages for Manhattan, Brooklyn, Etc. and was amazed at what I learned.
I asked for an estimate for 1/2" glass and 1/2" starphire glass in 3 different sizes. A lot of waiting and explaining to employees barely able to speak English latter this is what I found.....
The same piece of glass can cost anywhere from say $90 to a whooping $1200! OUCH!!! :splitspin
Cheapest place to buy glass in NYC is:

United Storefronts 6119 4th Av. Brooklyn NY 212.496-5010

Notice I said "CHEAPEST", that does not mean the "Best" place to get it, I'll explane. The guy has a lot of "kids" that do most of the finishing and cutting. The first order I placed, the glass was cut all crooked and, they polish the edges by hand with a belt sander! Not cool, unless you just want baffles, windows etc. If thats the case this is the place to go.
One other note- No Starphire but he does have some kind of low Iron glass (he didn't even know it till I pointed it out to him).

BEST place to buy glass:

Paradise Glass & Mirrors,Inc
5712 3rd Ave, Brooklyn NY 212.391-4743 or 718.765-0779
This place cost about ten to twenty dollars more per big sheet than the other place BUT still less expensive than anywhere else. Everything is professional cut and polished on a machine-VERY square and exact! They also have Starphire glass (takes 2 weeks) only $50 to deliver to Manhattan.

I will NEVER go anyplace else, and unless you happen to "know" someone- neither should you!

Last edited:

ryder11211

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
thanks for the info, i was about to ask for recommendations from people who have had experience building their own tanks.
couple q's:
1. how much did the tank end up costing to make? How many pieces of glass did you use (back, front, sides and bottom, or did u use another materials too)?
2. how difficult is it to build the tank (do you feel 100% comfortable with the finished product)?
3. did you have them cut overflows as well?

thanks

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
#1.
9 pieces of glass: Plate glass for bottom 1/2 x 35 x 23 with two overflow holes- $108.00, Plate glass back 1/2 x 36 x 30 -$90.00, Plate glass eurobrace 2 pieces 1/2 x 2 x 35 & 2 pieces 1/2 x 2 x 19 -$50.00
Starphire glass front 1/2 x 36 x 30 -$176.00, Starphire sides(2 pieces) 1/2 x 30 x 23 -$220.00
5 tubes of 10.3 oz clear AGA silicon $40.00

total:$684.00

Tank the way I want it....Priceless!

#2.
I found it to be rather easy - but messy!
On a side tip....I am an artist that has been doing cabinet making and fine construction (to pay the bills)for a number of years. I also have plenty of plastic capped bar, c, and corner clamps and braces.
this thread helped give me courage to do it: http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=192583&highlight=build+205+gallon+tank

#3.
I had them drill holes in the bottom piece for bulkheads. I'm using a 1/4 x 14 x 29.5 inch piece of plexi for my inside overflow box. I used a heat gun to bend it.

If anyone is interested I've been taking photos of the whole process. I am building EVERYTHING myself! When I get it together (myself included) I can post a long photo intensive thread about how to, with all the prices, and places i paid for and got everything at....if anyone is interested?!?

barebucta

Rating - 96.3%
26   1   0
Very interesting to know, but I'd never built one myself. Not very confident that I can build something that'll hold that much water w/o something going wrong. Best of luck....picture!!!! they say 1000 words.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: