• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

GQ22

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hey guys

Thought I'd share some pics of my Dual Maxi Jet mod set up. The flow is crazy and my fish are visibly more happy. Please ignore my tank as it is crap right now due to a large crash, so i pretty much only have clams zoos and random corals. But now I have a semi perfect flow set up for SPS and it was cheap. I see water swirling in every corner of the tank. As i mentioned before the only down side is it is not good to have it constantly turn on and off, so i keep it on 24 7 and it is noise free.

DSC01011.JPG

GQ22

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
fyi, if you attempt to do this project, you will need some tools, a 3/16 drill bit and drill, a set of strong wire cutters, one that can cut through the steel rod provided, some razors, crazy glue gel, and if you want to do it fancy like the web site suggests, you will need the dremel mini hand tool that can cut off the tip of the impeller.

GQ22

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You dont see the pictures? that is the mod. i mounted it on top of a seio bracket so i can get directional flow. just let glue set for 24 hours before putting in water.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Nicely done! I tried this once but rushed it and it didn't help that I started the project at 1am. I also didn't let the glue dry!

Nice job though, makes me want to try it again (but do it right of course)

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I actually just finished watching the video after posting the link and he skips a step about removing the black ring around the body of the maxijet where the shroud connects. Its almost impossible to get the shroud on without removing it.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Why is it this mod is only done on Maxi Jets? Are they the only ones with enough torque to spin a prop?
they dont have enough torque at least. but it is the powerhead that has just eniough for this project. There is very little torque to these guy so you have to trim the propeller to size. Anyhow it end up not being worth it because i just end up having the same flow as a seio 800.

GQ22

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If I buy the DIY Maxi-jet Mod Kit, can anyone help me out for a nice cold 6 pack? :beer: :cheers:

It is so easy. the key is cutting the plastic shaft the right length and glueing the propeller high enough so it doesnt slam into the lower part of the shroud. once you do this, drill a hole for the stopper so there is not too much space between the propeller and the stopper. If the prop/shaft have to travel upwards a great distance ie 1 centimeter, the start is violent and ruins your mod.

my second one took my 10 minutes to make.

PS: dual propellers make a HUGE difference. I ran it one vs two and there was a big difference.

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
It also works better when you do the 2nd impeller mod-not the one shown
in the video.
You have to break out all the plastic from the magnet and only use the
ridgid air tube- fewer parts -more stable- quieter.
I run 2 of 'em!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: