Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hi everyone, have a question i need help in. I've been building a canopy for my tank for well over 5 months in my head but i have ran into a small issue: i dont know how to mount my lights!. I have an evergrow d120, the ones that have the power on top of the unit, along with the dimmers and power switches.

My current plan is to build everything out of 10 inch wood boards except for the top. id use a plywood for the top with 2 "beams" running from front to back to help support. On the top, id cut out a rectangle using my dremel, the dimensions of the light minus 1.5 inches. After all that, i'd seal the inside of the tank with window/door caulk and use about 5 layers of latex high gloss white paint.

Does this sound like a good way to go about it? i don't want a hanging or floating canopy and i want it closed on all areas so that i don't have any carpet surfers.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Whenever I build a canopy I never close up the top. I like to just run 2 or 3pieces of 2 in wood strips where I need to hang whatever it is that needs to be hung,usually your lights. This way gives the tank fresh air and allows the heat to rise away from your tank.

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Whenever I build a canopy I never close up the top. I like to just run 2 or 3pieces of 2 in wood strips where I need to hang whatever it is that needs to be hung,usually your lights. This way gives the tank fresh air and allows the heat to rise away from your tank.

+1 I have built a couple of canopies and always had the top wide open.

You really have to think about what you are trying to accomplish. For me it was to limit the light spill but not hinder the airflow to the surface of the tank to minimize heat. As Duke mentioned i just ran cross beams and mount the lights onto them.

The other benefit of keeping the top open is that you don't have to worry about humidity in the canopy so much. Meaning no needed to do 5 coats of paint and even caulking.

Good Luck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: