Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Since I have the attention of a few people, here are three options for speed control. One would be recessed, adjustable via screw driver - dirt cheap; another that sticks out, has a lock and has very precise control - $8-$12 Range; And last, one that sticks out, not pretty, has a lot of tension and can only be adjust via screw driver - $4 range. Its pretty obvious when you look at the pictures which is which. If you can't figure it out let me know. I'm going to order some parts today or tomorrow. Let me know your opinions.

Attachments

• locking_pot.jpg
    locking_pot.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 272
  • cache copy.jpg
    cache copy.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 280
  • bourn.jpg
    bourn.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 283

Greagzter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Awesome thread and ideas. I think having the option to have both hardware and software is optimal. I actually began building a doser about a year ago based on the arduino but never got to finish it since my time is occupied with other projects. There are many threads out there on similar stuff, can't remember where exactly but if you google arduino aquarium doser you will find plenty info that might be useful to you.

ENB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As far as I can tell the one with the precise control and lock (the picture all the way on the right that looks sort of like a combination lock) would be the easiest to use as it has the numbers on it, or am I just not seeing the other ones clearly?

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
You are correct ENB, that is my favorite so far.

@Greagzter, I've done a lot of research on this, and yes, there are a lot of options out there but none of them suited my needs correctly. Once I found this sparkcore (Spark.io) I realized it was the prime candidate. Completely wireless, inexpensive, great community forum, and loads of options with further development coming in the future.

The software is a bit trickier only due to the complexity of getting the PWM working properly in an easy DIY form. There were a lot more pieces involved and added more cost and more ways to mess things up. The hardware is simple and economical. I've been working on the software side, trying to work it all out, because that's what I wanted. Once I worked it all out with the spark engineers, I came to realize it was going to be quite difficult. Once they develop a motor shield for the spark core, it will probably be easier. The beauty of this is open source and the idea that you can change things at will.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So just a heads up, I'm ordering the precision control / locking knob and precision multi-turn potentiometer, but I thought everyone should know that it will add about $15-$20 to the whole project (provided it works properly).

If I was to use a multi-turn trim pot which is soldered in and would be accessible through a small hole or via removing the cover the cost for that could be as low as $4. I'm waiting on some part though before I can figure out if one of those trim pots will work though.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have a small update. I received all of the different potentiometers today, well two different types. Both work very well, they allow for very precise control. The current motor controller I have doesn't do as well as I'd expected on with low speed duty cycles so I need to work that out. More parts should be arriving this week. The girlfriend will be out of town this weekend so provided all the parts are here I should be able to make some good progress.

The next step is to get the built in web server up and running. Currently I'm controlling it through my home web server. Maybe this weekend I'll post a video of how everything is working.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Update on the project. I have everything working with the 12v pumps and potentiometers now. I ordered two sample pumps from china today, they seem to be a bit better than the really inexpensive pumps I found. These run about $27, vs $15 for the cheapos, and are geared which SHOULD make them much more accurate.

On a second note, I've been working with guys over at spark and finally convinced them to build a microSD shield for the spark core. What this means is the spark core will be able to run the whole server from itself, rather than an internet based server.

The guys are also working on a motor shield which is good, but I'm not sure it will be what we want for this project.

I will at some point need someone, aside from myself, to test this in real time so I can get a feel for how others feel about the system in their hands. Meaning ease of setup, etc.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Another update...So I'm very close to giving up on these tiny, cheap, pumps. Because they work on friction and have no actual gear to turn the pump they are proving to be unreliable and inconsistent. I'm going to wait for the samples from china as I'm pretty sure they will be more consistent.

On a plus side, one of the guys from the spark site has been very inspired by the amount of work I'm putting into this and has decided to put together a legit PCB. The pcb might be the type that you have to solder the components yourself, but I'm not 100% sure yet. This is a huge development and I'm really excited about this. Again my focus and my goal is to make this affordable for everyone.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Here is a link to the cheap ones, I'm sure they are from china as well, but they just aren't dependable.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1150

And here is the pdf about the pumps I ordered from China. I'm getting one gear drive and one planetary gear drive.

I paid $80 ($28 for shipping) for two pumps and shipping. If a quantity is ordered that price will obviously come down. I'm also in touch with another supplier in china, that seems to have a similar pump, but I'm waiting on pricing. If they are in the range, or cheaper, I will order one or two of those as well to see how the quality is. I'm finding that the circuitry is easy, the programming is easy, its quality pumps that hard to find.

The pumps I really wanted to buy were welco pumps. Although I don't know the price, once I told the company that I was making an Aquarium Doser they immediately shut me off because they apparently have an exclusive contract with Vertex for their doser. I cannot image how much vertex had to pay to get an exclusive contract, its kind of crazy in my mind.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Making progress, two new custom shields have been ordered. The downfall is they take some time to make, I think its a 6-8 week turn around. The gentleman who designed them is in Australia and he'll be sending me the boards to beta test. Between the shipping times for the new pumps from china and these boards everything should arrive around the same time I'm thinking. Anyways, here's a preview.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 8.17.39 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 8.17.39 AM.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 253

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Pumps arrived from China today. Good results so far! Well built! They look very similar to the ones that vertex uses. The key to buying these will be buying in bulk because they nail you on the shipping. The two motors were $27/ea and the shipping was $25. It looks like its going to be a few weeks before the PWM boards from my friend in Perth. This project is looking very solid at the moment. Hopefully there will be some interest from peeps on here.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Don't want people to think this has stalled...just waiting on some custom PCB's to arrive from Australia. The PCB's are motordrivers and are going to to need some testing which could take a bit of time. I did receive the SD/Fram board yesterday, hopefully I can test this weekend. The SD/Fram shield is meant to host the server for the motor programming. Sorry this is taking so long, but in order to it properly, these things take time.

If anyone is interested in the AC version, I can help you out at any time.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hey Guys, sorry for the delay on this project...LONG DELAY I guess, wow...thats what happens when you get engaged and marriage and all that jazz...anyway!

So, I have an update on this, but I also need a bit of help, and I'm hoping someone can help me out for trade.

I changed this up a bit after switching to the triton system. With help from the guys on the particle.io forums, I was able to create a simple programming method. Essentially you tell it how much you want to dose in 24hrs, and how many doses you want and the photon (previously spark) does the rest.

The unit has a calibration function built in, as well as a manual on/off feature for priming.

I've also added a thumb cell so the unit maintains all the variables if the unit loses power.

Now here's where I need some help - JAVASCRIPT. I currently have a very simple webpage that is designed to run from your desktop, but given I don't know javascript I can't completely finish the webpage. The unit can be programmed very easily via a Command Line Interface, but I figure people would like the option to have a webpage for programming.

So if anyone of you reefers out there are javascript programmers and could help out, I'll give you a prebuilt unit made from a gutted out jebao doser. I'll include the original guts as well in case you don't want the photon unit.

If you have no interest in the unit, I can send you some frags.

Once this is is done I will be doing a write up that shows how to build this doser with options for different types of pumps. I have yet to get to stepper motor pumps, but I plan on figuring that out as well. Currently I have suppliers for really nice AC and DC pumps that are very well built and incredibly reliable.

In general, so far this system is very reliable. I have been running it daily with plain water and measuring the amounts and I'm incredibly impressed, even with the jebao pumps.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Well this project is still taking shape. I've just finished the 6 channel MOSFET shield for the photon. The shield runs on a 12v power supply which supplies power to the photon as well as the six outputs.

The firmware now supports 12hr and 24hr periods and logs all data to google spreadsheets.

To reiterate the basics of the project, it's a very simple system, you tell the firmware the dose rate, how much to dose, how many doses and whether you want that to happen over 12hrs or 24hrs. The photon then calculates all the doses out for you.

I created the project because I was very sick of all these dosers out there that are high quality with limited pumps and expensive or they have four pumps with really cheap pumps...this gives people the opportunity to have up to six pumps and they can choose the quality of the pumps based on their economic situation.

I have no intentions of profiting from this as stuff is expensive enough in this industry. I plan to have the boards available and people can buy them at a cost that covers my costs. I will be putting together a DIY write up as soon as the web programming page is finished.

2759140d9a500c63633a7ece75050422.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: