• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

N

NanoReefer

Hi everyone,
I need to know how I can service the pump I own(if it ever needs it) if it's in the closed loop? I don't know how this is possible. I would place ball valves on each end of the pump, but how do I take it off? Won't it have to be cemented to the pvc? I am just having trouble trying to figure this out. I am going later to get some supplies. Here's my set up,

Sump/refugium, drilled tank for return and also closed loop. Quiet One 5000 for the closed loop, Quiet One 3,000 for the return from the sump/refugium. I am going to be plumbing the pump outside of the sump to lower heat levels. So do I need 2 shut off valves? How will I be able to get the pump out? Thank you very much.

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Use true union ball valves. They screw off at both ends and you can service the pump at anytime as long as you close the valve first. Yes you would need 2 of them depending on how it is plumbed to your sump and tank.

Or you can use a ball valve and a seperate union fitting on both sides. It is cheaper but requires more room to plumb (not much) but it is an option to true union ball valves.

Some are cheap and some are very expensive depending on size and company. You can get them with threaded ends or slip fitting ends which you can glue into the pipes.

HTH,

Kasei

PS: Welcome to Manhattan Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: