• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking into Retrofit kits for a soon to come 120gal. reef which will host a variety of corals LPS, SPS, zoas, mushrooms, it will be 48"x24"x25" tall I am looking to get MH for this setup I have look into Hellolights and am just unsure the best possible route to go. To me it looks cheaper getting a setup already done. Questions?
Would I need 2 250W MH 20,000K bulbs?
Would I need VHOs?
I know I need a dual ballast and would like the ones that can be controlled individually and sit on the bottom of my stand.
I thought 20,000K makes up for the actinics.
I also read that the double ended bulbs are better. Any suggestions appreciated.

nyumpa

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
little info most reefers stick with a theme lps, sps, softies etc
i mix lps with sps(monti's) good flow and turn over is key
as for your lighting mine before it was 50% 10k and 50% act 03, i now using 14k HQI(only), the color is a perfect balance

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 55 I have a MH unit 20,000K bulbs only. I have softies and tried soft hard corals I love the hard corals haven't had great success I will probably start with the softies, eventually go with the hard corals. Do you have photos? What size tank?

After doing some reasearch I plan on getting a starfire glass 120Gal. 1 overflow on the back center wall that pushes 1500gph, Eurobraced. In saving some $$$ I plan on building the stand and canopy from getting some great ideas from this various sources. The lighting I plan on sticking with 20K MH 250W and not add VHO's. I have a 55gal with 2 150W 20K bulbs that I like. I also want to keep the electrical bill down lol.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: