• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Well I decided to give wiring a shot. I just bought a t5 retrofit tek kit. It came with 1 ballast and the setup for 2 bulbs. I'm trying to figure out how to wire the ballast to the endcaps. The ballast itself has a diagram but it appears that there are a couple wires missing from my retrofit kit. I'm sure this isn't the case and I'm just missing something.

There are 2 red 2 yellow and 2 blue wires on 1 side of the ballast. Each of the 4 endcap has 2 inputs for wires. So..... doing the math, 6 wires on the ballast and 8 inputs for the endcaps doesn't add up. It looks like I am missing 1 wire that goes directly from one endcap into another endcap. This wire didn't come with the retrofit kit.

Also, on the ballast, the power supply looks like it has a spot for a green ground wire, but no wire came with the kit.

1st of all, am I misunderstanding something or do I just need to go out and buy some ASW 18 gauge 600 volt wiring? And 2nd, where can I get this wiring? I've tried home depot, ace hardware and radio shack with no luck. (they have similar wire but I'm guessing I can't get away with anything else).

Thanks all,
Nate

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Well I decided to give wiring a shot. I just bought a t5 retrofit tek kit. It came with 1 ballast and the setup for 2 bulbs. I'm trying to figure out how to wire the ballast to the endcaps. The ballast itself has a diagram but it appears that there are a couple wires missing from my retrofit kit. I'm sure this isn't the case and I'm just missing something.

There are 2 red 2 yellow and 2 blue wires on 1 side of the ballast. Each of the 4 endcap has 2 inputs for wires. So..... doing the math, 6 wires on the ballast and 8 inputs for the endcaps doesn't add up. It looks like I am missing 1 wire that goes directly from one endcap into another endcap. This wire didn't come with the retrofit kit.

Also, on the ballast, the power supply looks like it has a spot for a green ground wire, but no wire came with the kit.

1st of all, am I misunderstanding something or do I just need to go out and buy some ASW 18 gauge 600 volt wiring? And 2nd, where can I get this wiring? I've tried home depot, ace hardware and radio shack with no luck. (they have similar wire but I'm guessing I can't get away with anything else).

Thanks all,
Nate

Hey Nate... the endcaps are daisy chained together... all the wires should be there. I'm sure someone has a diagram they can post, but you should not need anything additionally unless the included wires are too short.

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Got it. makes a lot of sense. You need to cut a piece of the yellow wire off to make a "jumper". I'm surprised they don't give you more wiring. I'm gunna need to pick some more up. Anyone have some lying around or know where to get some?

Thanks,
Nate

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Yeah, I am going to place the 2 lights fairly far away from each other in front and back of my metal halide reflector in the canopy. So I'm gunna need some more wire.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: