• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
don't buy acrylic from home depot. First, I don't think you will be able to get the thickness that you need to make a sump. Second, last I checked Home Depot only carries plexiglass brand acrylic. I forget the manufacturing process that plexiglass uses, but it tends to become brittle and to yellow over time. There are a number of acrylic places in the city and on the island to get acrylic. I am sure someone else will direct you to a list of places, i just can't find it at this time.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
if you have the tools it's easy. You're going to need clamps, squares, measuring devices, some weldon, and the aplicator.

FYI, I built a 24x15x16" sump for my 58. The acrylic alone was $120. I got it at t&t plastic land. They're a block below canal on church st. They're cheaper than canal plastics.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
If you have the right tools it is extremely easy. In addition to those listed by Bad Coffee I would also think that you need a table saw and a router to flush bit for the edges. I made the sump for my 65, and with a little bit of prep, it was easier than I would have thought.

zxknight

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i called Canal Plastics the price was not that bad, it is $100 dollars for a piece of acrylic 48x96 1/4 inches thick and if i want them to cut it for me it is $2.00 a cut. she told me to send them a diagram of what i want and they will gve me a good price.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: