mgamelin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
br1200
The reflctors you bought are more than likely anodized aluminum, They don't rust.
Only alminum that hasn't been anodized (zaped with electricity) will corrode.In fact aluminum can only be painted by means of powder coating(another use of electricity).any other conventional paint will only stick for a short period of time, then you will end up with paint in your tank. If they are reflective almost like a mirror and thin than they are anodized( like spider reflector). Marc

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: mgamelin ]

br1200

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marc,

I just gave them a call, and they said it will "Oxidize" after a while.

The reflectors I got have a white side to them, looks like some sort of paint.

Is there anything that can be done to ensure
long lasting reflectors ?

--Arnon

br1200

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 4 new polished stainless steel
already bent. The whole rpoject cost me $96.90. The dim are 48"X8" with 30 degrees bend. I personaly think its worth it.

--Arnon

mgamelin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
br1200
That's great. But I'm sure you need to polish them yourself right? I recommend using
an orbital sander with polishing pad and compound.Take a look at the other thread concerning reflectors and you will see the reflector that I made. they turned out great and are much more sturdy than the conventional ones.
Marc
icon_wink.gif

br1200

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marc ,

What kind of compound do I need ?

P.S they look very polished to me. They are like mirrors at this point. Do I still need to polish them ?

--Arnon

mgamelin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
br1200
There should be a hase on the surface of the metal that is from the manufacuring process, and is easly removed. Get some course car polishing compound and a sander. If you can't get a polishing disc, use a thick rag and wrap it around the sander pad surface, that should do the trick. Marc
icon_biggrin.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: