baef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help on building my own sump using an old 10 gallon fish tank.. I have a 29 gallon FOWLR which I want to build a sump for using a 10 gallon tank. Could anyone point me to a website or give me some advice? I don't understand how I can get the water to go from my tank down to the sump without a pump of some kind or cutting a hole in my glass tank. If I use a pump it seems like it would be way to hard to keep the water level the same in the sump at all times.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baef. First of all, welcome to the board.

Next. Do a search here. Take a lot of time, and figure out what you are doing before you take the first step. Read some books. Ask a lot of questions. Everyone here will be glad to help.

To answer your origional questions: You need an overflow. (do a search) ti gets the water from you display tank to the sump. It keeps the water level in the display tank the same all the time, and the change in water level will be seen in the sump. You can get a hang on overflow or drill your tank.

B

baef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply..
Do you have any links to specific information about building your own sump using an old tank? I will look around for info on an overflow.

Thanks!

ems3411

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd sell ya mine.. but that would mean you would have to drive up here to get it.. hehe glad to see you finally posting and learning.. get some tips from the bossman he has a good idea what he is talking about.

But seriously an overflow would work fine for what you want to do. Then to get the water back into the tank you would need a pump to push it back up. When the water overflowed into the overflow it would run back into the sump.

Bob
(nice web page.... )

baef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe, thanks bob!

My tank is an all glass tank so how does the over flow work without actually cutting your tank? I don't understand... anyone have a good link to where I can see how it works or have any pics?

Thanks!

dattack

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow is an acrylic structure with 1 box sitting on the inside of the tank and one sitting outside. There is a U tube that siphons water from the inner box to the outer box. The water then travels down to your sump. You then need a pump to pump water from the sump back to the tank. Take a look at this picture.
http://www.cyberreefguru.com/fish/ref/overflow/overflow.html

Go to petwarehouse or bigalsonline and check the pricing for the overflow box. They will have a picture of it. Have you ever suctioned your clean your gravel with a gravel cleaner? It's the same concept almost. Gravity forces water to flow down to the sump.

[ September 19, 2001: Message edited by: dattack ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: