• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

BROKER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hard would it be to set one up to my ro/di so that it will shut off when it the storage tank fills up? Can anyone provide me with detailed instructions as I have a mechanical handicap
icon_biggrin.gif

kervina

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RO system feeds into a sealed tank. As far as I can tell, as the tank fills, it pressurizes, and when the tank pressure reaches the water pressure, it shuts off the filter. I know that larger tanks are available from DIY stores (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) for my system. Perhaps something of that sort is available for yours?

It may or may not be the cheapest way, but it is probably the easiest and there is probably some sort of warranty protection if the tank fails...

I've never seen a warrantied DIY job.
icon_wink.gif

M.E.Milz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my RO/DI unit (Kent Maxxim) with a float switch and solenoid valve (sold as an option). The float switch is mounted on/through the side of the storage tank near the top. When the water level rises so as to raise and close the float switch, the backpressure causes the solenoid to shut down the RO/DI unit. It has worked perfectly for the 18 months I have had it.

By the way, the system will work with the float switch only, but without the solenoid, the water will still run through the system.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
As mentioned, there are the bladder tank and the float switch. Some water filter companies (e.g., SpectraPure) sell water level controller, and you can buy them or DIY. Some work by water pressure, some work by light sensor, while some work by sound.

The disadvantage of bladder tank is that the back pressure as the tank is filled make the RO less efficient. Permeate pump help a little, but it may be not worth it if you only use RO infrequently.

BROKER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the tornado from reefpure. Would the float valve and solenoid switch work on this unit? Any ideas where I can purchase these items? Is it something HD might sell?

kervina

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm one of those guys who sees it as a threat to my manhood when I don't already know the answer, so I NEVER ask for help...
icon_smile.gif

Actually, after we bought the system, I was walking through Lowes one day and saw some tanks that were the same blue color as the one that came with our filter. I walked over and took a look at them, and sure enough, they were different sized tanks of the type I already had...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy the Kent float switch and solenoid valve. They work great. I use two float switches with my unit. One for water storage and one on my sump for makeup water. Almost two years and not any problems.

kervina

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again, I see cwa46 and I coming at things from different directions and getting equally satisfactory results...

I looked at the cost of bladder-type tanks and kent float switches this past weekend. I am inclined to agree that if you already have the tank, the float switch is probably a better solution. The switch is probably a tad more likely to fail than a bladder tank, but not enough that I would be concerned...

After all, your tank bottom has a certain chance of failure as well.
icon_wink.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: