• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

gbtower

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a new ca reactor. Planning on using 4" acrylic for the main body. In my area, it's easy to get 4" ABS caps. I haven't yet found 4" PVC caps. Besides, I like the black color better
icon_smile.gif

So, what type of cement would work for ABS-acrylic bonding. www.ipscorp.com lists Weld-On 1802 as suitable, but I haven't found info on whether it could be used in pressure applications (granted, there's not a lot of pressure, but better safe than sorry). And I haven't yet found a local shop that carries it.

Gerald

kevreh

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same website also mentions using weldon 40 for bonding acrylic and other types of plastic like pvc. I've used it and it works good. Actually I'm also using it for a calc reactor.

good luck-

billzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also in the running for the diy Ca rx and skimmers, been buying all of my parts little by little, next stop US Plastics on Wed. I've found 4" caps everywhere I've been, HD, Menards, Lowes, Ace. What I haven't been able to find are 4" plugs. Bill.

billzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I re-read this, I remember this diy topic at RC, some guys tried using the caps with not much success as they couldn't get the cap to seal. I also thought that was the way to go to make the project cheaper, but if they don't seal it would be a shame to waste that nice acrylic tube, maybe try it out on PVC first. FWIW, Bill.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: