• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

KJHawley

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After several years of running freshwater tanks, I'm planning on starting my first saltwater tank- probably a 55 gal. fish only or FOWLR at first, without a sump. Eventually, I'd like to add a sump, and therefore an overflow. I like the idea of building as much of it myself as I can- I'm definitely building my own hood, and I'd like to build my own sump when I get to that point. I've seen lots of plans for homemade overflows on this site- however, in all of them it seems like there's at least some risk that they'll lose siphon or get clogged, cause a tank overflow, & burn out the pump. Based on the designs I've seen,pre-plumbed tanks have little risk of these problems. Having no experience with saltwater tanks, I'm not sure if I'm being too paranoid about this, but are there some well-built overflows that are fairly risk-free, or would I be better off spending a little bit more now for a pre-plumbed tank? If anyone knows of any good articles or discussion threads on this subject, I'd appreciate hearing about those as well.

fishfarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were a few threads about overflows in the main disscussion forum recently, do a search using "overflow", "amiracle", "lifereef" or "cpr". You should pull up lots of debates.

If your planning on having a sump at some point and your tank is dry now, by all means get a hole or two drilled in the upper corners. A good LFS or glass shop should be able to do this. You should be able to cap the bulkheads with pvc in case you don't want to use them now.

I'm currently running my 38 gal with a CPR CS50 overflow, this model is more hassle than it's worth. I thought the world of it when I first bought it, but after a year I'm planning on a tank upgrade mostly for the piece of mind of not coming home to a wet carpet and angry downstairs neighbors.

Mac1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto what FishFarmer said... if it's high and dry now, get that sucker drilled. Worlds more reliable, easier to work with IMO, and once things are setup and running, you have no opportunity to make changes then. If you decide you don't like the idea later on and don't add a sump, you can cap the bulkheads and leave 'em be. If you experience a couple of floods and change your mind (like I did with my refugium), you're screwed. Trust me.

- Mac

Kenny

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishfarmer is absolutely right! I have a CS50 and also thought the world of it when it was new, and now it is just so, so. I would much rather have a preplumbed tank. I have an All-Glass 90 gallon reef ready with their Twin-Flo overflo and love it. Another suggestion would be that if you are considering a sump in the future, go with the All-Glass overflows and cap them off it you don't want to use them. I think once you start in saltwater you will want a sump to hide stuff like a heater, skimmer, etc. and will be glad to have the preplumbed tank!
Kendall

jchonline

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all. Overflows are a hassle. Just get that tank drilled. I have an AGA 75G reef ready. It is wonderful. I have a Bivalve cutoff on the end to my sump, so when I want it to stop, I just turn the knob. A very safe way to do things.

fishfarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a 55 drilled this week. My LFS is doing the drilling. He does it for $20 for first hole, $15 for additional holes. Bulkheads are $12 a piece. I'm having three holes drilled. Total cost will be $86 + acrylic for skimmer boxes. I think my CPR CS50 was around $90 and the venturi attachments for my sump pump(to keep the cpr air free) was an additional $20.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with drilled. Since you are a DIY'er, you could drill them yourself. It is really easy. do a search here in DIY and you will get lots of info.

B

fishfarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank's been drilled, three holes(two overflow, one inflow) cost $50, 3 bulkheads cost $20, 24x48 inch acrylic sheet(way more than I need) cost $38.

Total comes to $108

Cost for piece of mind = Priceless

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: