• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

shawnhowerton

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a random thread while doing a search and it described putting 3 fluorescent ballasts in parellel to get increased light output from one NO bulb. This configuration supposedly could also run a vho bulb.

has anyone done this? Is it safe?

thanks

StirCrazy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey that sounds like somthing I would do
icon_biggrin.gif
anyways I am doing it with 2 ballasts (that is the plan) I am starting to set up my stand a equipment so I will know better in a week or two how it works. to this point I have only tried using all 3 leads of my ballast to drive 1 bulb.
to see my tests so far ou can read this thread
Lighting tests

I am planning on doing this but by using multiple balasts so I can stager the start times and create a dimming effect evenly over the entire tank. otherwise I have to just stager the bulb start up

Steve

shawnhowerton

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you sooo much for the link and information.
Thanks for taking the time to do such a project.
I truely appreciate it.

best wishes

StirCrazy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bashcraft:
<strong>I've been doing this for a few years now. Works very well. I really haven't noticed much difference in lamp life either.

Bob</strong><hr></blockquote>

was there any problem with feedback from the running ballast to the shut down one? I was going to go buy relays to prevent this but some one told me there was protection built into the ballast.

Steve

cheapreefer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve,

It probably wouldn't cause feedback (on an electric ballast), but why not just through a diode on each of the feed wires to direct flow in one direction? It would be a lot easier and much cheaper than using relays (which will suck power when energized).

bashcraft

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this for a few years now. Works very well. I really haven't noticed much difference in lamp life either.

Bob

StirCrazy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheapreefer,
well I thought of that but a diode is only effective against DC current.. so relays are the only way to do it if I were to worry about it.

Steve

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: