• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

D-Nak

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know how to create something that will reverse the direction of my canopy fans?

I plan to have 2 fans in my new canopy, one on each side -- one will draw air in and the other will pull it out. I will also have a hole cut into the wall and install a dryer vent to the outside of my house, and have the other side connected to the canopy. Make sense so far?

My house is cold in the winter time and hot in the summer (duh!), so I was thinking if I could somehow make something that was hooked onto a temperature sensor that could reverse the direction of the fans depending on the temperature of the room, I could draw cold air from the outside, have the halides heat the air, and then blow it into the house (to warm it during the winter) and then do the opposite in the summer.

I want something that will do it automatically rather than having 2 sets of fans or having to switch it manually.

Any ideas?

D-Nak

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.

Actually, you want to find the temperature of both indoor and outdoor, and then decide on the direction of the airflow.

Johnson Control's Temperature controller will work for you. In fact, any temp controller working with a DPDT relay will do.

Flap a switch twice a year is not that big of a hassle, is it?
icon_smile.gif

D-Nak

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know how it is in California -- there's cold days in the summer and warm days in the middle of winter... I'd rather have everything automatic.

Also, I have an AquaController.. anyone know how I might be able to use this to do what I'm hoping to do?

Thanks!

D-Nak

abelsm2

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of fans are you planning to use and how long will the dryer duct be? I would be impressed to see most canopy fans pull air from the outside if your distance is too great. Anything more than a trickle of air would be surprising.

Also, most fans (except for the really cheap fans) have the blades optimized for flow in one direction. Dont expect the same performance from the fan if you reverse the voltage on the fan and get the blades to spin the other way. Best thing to do would be to turn the fan unit around.

Please post your success because I have thought about the same type of project for my computer.
icon_smile.gif

[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: Mnementh ]</p>

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: