• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

hquintanilla

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi...I was looking for a beckett 1408 nozzle in Home Depot, ACE, and others without luck. I found a Little Gigant Bubble Nozzle it looks similar to the characteristics of the Beckett 1408. but I haven´t tested. I wonder if someone out there has tryed this nozzle, and knows If I can make a good amount of foam and with what pump...
Regards...

hquintanilla

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ted...
Will be great to see your ETS like skimmer in action, pictures of it, plans of it or any sort of information on reproducing it..of course if you don´t mine sharing it...I´m in the dificult decision of buying a ETS (lot of bucks I´ll prefer waisting in my vacations
icon_smile.gif
) or building one...I got almost all the materials, only that I don´t know what cement to use to bond the plexigalss...any clue of the best one?
Regards...

laserted

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hector - I too tried the Little Giant bubbler (from Lowes) when I couldn't find the Beckett - it was satisfactory only in the upright position, and then only marginally so. I had modified it a bit to get more airflow, so I wasn't returning it, but when I get my pond finished, it will probably find a home there - BTW - it needed a LOT of water to get fine bubbles - a 3/4" line and close to 30 PSI and flow upwards of 8-12 GPM. yup, good for a pond.

All the online plans I found said "Go To Home Depot and buy a Beckett!" My local HD's had just discontinued distribution of the entire pond line, however, www.888beckett.com and the 1-888-BECKETT were still visible on the tattered corner displays, or what was left of them! Their website still has HD as a retail outlet, but www.marketexpo.com is their alternate. Warning - MarketExpo's website navigation is VERY WEIRD! Lots of HORIZONTAL scroll bars! (the 1408 bubbler head is found directly here:
http://www.marketexpo.com/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?testno=847&cat=Water_Gardens_Filters_Pumps_and_Parts&item_id2=847&&item_id=1408_Plastic_Foam_Jet_Nozzle

At $17 it's not bad - a google search turns up a couple of other places, but they all turn out appx. the same, pending shipping, etc.

My 4' homebuilt ETS-like skimmer works absolutely wonderfully with the Beckett. I put in needle-valve control of the intake air, but I leave it wide open - in fact, I had to add a second vent to prevent the venturi from "whistling" - it's that efficient. Driving the unit is a single Mag 250 (aka Supreme's pondmaster 250) 250 GPH imp. pump. Max head 7' (I run at 1.7'), power consuption, 24 watts, stays nice & cool...
I did have a Dolphin on it originally, however it seemed to cavitate way too easily and the impeller ass'y was not as accurately machined as I would have liked.

Cheers,

Ted.

laserted

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cwaa - regarding the tolerances on the impeller - this particular one had a 2.2mm bore and a 1.0mm stainless shaft as an axle, which ended up rattling. I started checking the impeller pumps in my "spares box" and the majority of them (mostly Rio's admittedly) had plastic bushings inserted in the ceramic that allowed for minimal play. I remember an Iwasaki I had was hard-shafted on the impeller with bearings on the caps. This dolphin didn't, but I was still impressed with the flow from such a small pump. It will have a happy life in the soon-to-be pond.

Hector - Ok, so as luck (bad? yeah, def. bad...) would have it, after reading some posts, I heard a MEOW! ARF! CRASH! GLUSH! from the bedroom. I've heard the first two before, no worries. The crash, glush, however was new, and ended up being the reactor head "removing" itself from the skimmer base. Here, I thought a) I had it tucked neatly out of the animals' reach, and b) had re-enforced the joints sufficiently. Oh well. The pump got turned off, the water shop-vac'd up and my old "test" HSA-like skimmer made from plain old white PVC
was pulled from the attic (the only REAL skimmer I've ever owned was a Visi-Jet.....), quickly sanitized and with a few plumb fittings, put back into action. It worked ok, and is still doing so now - yes, I had to drill another hole in the air inlet to stop the beckett (yup, there's in there, too!) from whistling. I've now surmised that the Mag 250 is pushing a lot more than any of the other pumps I've had on the tank. It doesn't appear that the tank inhabitants even noticed.
Since the ETS was an upgrade to what I had originally done with the HSA, I'm thinking it may be time to hit the drawing board once again. I didn't really find too much difference in the large base unit (typically ETS) and just a cap bottom (typically venturi & HSA) so I may actually just stay with the HSA. Or perhaps invent another acronym to put into my posts! The thing I liked, was integrating a small Kalk reactor into the unit, which as it turned out, was too small anyway.

I enjoy the DIY gig a lot - for those interested, and haven't found them yet, I attribute a lot of thanks in designing my HSA to the following 2 websites:

http://www.eparc.com/diy/skimmers/ian/hsa.shtml

http://www.enter.net/~reef101/faq.htm

(Ian & William, respectively). Mine's a little different, especially in the design of the beckett chamber.

As I had said, I did go the cheap route with this particular skimmer - probably $25 worth of std. PVC fittings & pipe, the beckett, and the pump. All told, $80? Downsides - I can't see it skim while the unit's screwed together. I can however, uncrew the top plug and watch the froth unfold before me. Besides, I'd much rather watch the fish! If ther's any interest, I can draw up the plans for mine - I have no trouble sharing, since it was just that that allowed me to build mine - and I think I still have some jpgs of the unit under construction.

Ok, gotta go and watch the tank!

Cheers,

Ted.

-----------------------------------------------
Acronyms property of those that claim ownership, design rights property of those who claim them. I didn't invent the ETS or the HSA, however have built and designed units for non-commercial use only that may appear and may function in similar respect to said units, using assistance from those who have done same. Whew!

AWD

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TedH,

I would love to see a copy of your plans. I want to build one. I'm not sure on how to find the injectors. I've asked the people at HD about them and I just get blank stares. Any help is appreciated. Thanx,
Andy

AWD

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tedh,

I'm still would like to look at your plans.
Thanks,
Andy

Thanks Smoky for your input as well.

hquintanilla

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally I got two beckett injectors. Lucky! looking in the back of a shelf at Home Depot found two old boxes full of dirt...lucky I was to found there were two (foam) becketts , and payed 9 bucks for each...Now I´m looking for the rest of the parts to build my first skimmer...
Now I need to get a needle valve to regulate the inflow to the beckett. I´m looking for these http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/specialtymfg/586.htm or I don´t know if this one is also good http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/specialtymfg/689.htm it semms that is the same one used on the Aqua C skimmers, looks at this http://www.proteinskimmer.com/products/EV240.htm
So now I´m looking for a online merchant that carry one of those...Any ideas?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: