• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Mattquist

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a standard hole saw to put holes in my bulkheads? I thought I would ask before I crack the sump I just spent WAY too much time making!

Also, I planned on using male/female PVC pieces and a silicone O-ring for the bulkheads (total cost less than .80) instead of those horribly overpriced bulkheads that they sell at the LHS-Any comments??

"This hobby is getting way to expensive, and Habit forming. I think it would be cheaper just to get into drugs"

ecoman001

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok to use a Hole Saw that you can buy at Home Depot for wood to drill the acrylic. Just make sure
to stop every once and a while to allow the acrylic time to cool down. I drilled my 300g tank and had no problems. My tanks acrylic is 7/8" thick and it took me awhile. I would go ahead and
buy the bulkhead fittings. It would be awful to wake up and find alot of water on your floor or even worse alot of dead fish and corals!!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
Also, clamp a piece of wood/plastic behind the intended hole. This will make the break-thru more clean, and less chip, particularly if you are drilling a thin piece of acrylic.

ssgibbons

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is best if you can do drill half way thru the acrylic, and then drill the remainder from the other side.. just my $.02

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
In general, it is a good idea, but it depends on how easy it is to drill it from the inside. Some tanks are too narrow, some holes are too close to the top, etc.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: