• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jdamon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I just completed my Durso standpipe and I am quite pleased with the results. Thanks for the plans Rich. I do have one issue with it though. The hole I made for air at the top of the cap is just the right size, but water tends to splash up from underneath and constricts the size of the hole. Then it makes that horrible sound that I was trying to eliminate. A quick poke with a toothpick opens up the hole again, but this is not something I want to do twice a day. Anybody have a suggestion?

Thanks,
Jeff

ErikS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do one of several things depending on the size of the hole. Shove a piece of airline tubing in the hole.

I use one of the old "air filters" from a power head. It's that basket looking thing that came with them. I shove the airline connecter into the bottom of this thing & then shove that into the air hole. I also stuff it was a bit of floss (keeps the "whooshing" sound down & filters out dust).

jdamon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enlarged the hole a bit more and that seems to have cured the problem at least temporarliy. I think I just had to go big enough to account for water tension from a drop that lands on the hole. What are you talking about with the air line tubing? Did you make the hole really big and then put the tubing into the hole and then adjust the amount of air getting by way of a valve, or "filter" as you call it? Thanks for the input.

Jeff

ErikS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enlarge? Nope, that's just how big the hole worked out to be in my case.

The part that is in the hole is the same inside diameter of airline tubing. It's hard to describe but, it's the part that used to connect airline tubing together. As I said it's parts that came with the power head (for venturi use). I think the hole I have is 1/8". I just came up with this as a way to cut down on the airhole whooshing sound, the "floss/filter" portion is a side benefit.

And as a point of discussion you could make the hole as large as airline tubing & use an airline valve to adjust the airflow. Actually I'd still make it the same size, shove one of those plastic airline connectors into the hole & then connect airline to this.

Glad you found a solution that works!

jdamon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you mean now. That is a good idea. I am happy that my own fix is working now, so I think I might wait to modify it again. Every time I try to make an improvement on my tank, it causes all kinds of other problems. But that is why I enjoy the hobby right? Thanks again.

Jeff

platapus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can tell I dont have over flows on my tank -

What does a Durso Stand pipe do for the over flow, how does it work, anyone have a picture of one?

Icarus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jdamon;
Another Durso mod I picked up on another board is to put a cap on the standpipe and drill a larger hole in the [/i]side of the cap. Then you can twist the cap to regulate airflow. It works pretty well on my setup and that way you only have to drill once and if you change flow rates in the future, just adjust the cap accordingly.
HTH,
Mike

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: