• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

platapus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to build a Beckett skimmer :roll: I have began a log that will follow me through this, I hope to have it complete by this weekend. Feel free to crituque my style 8O This is my first attempt at building a protein skimmer.

This is for a 100 gallon reef, with a heavy bio-load, so Im shooting for a skimmer that would have a 400 - 500 gallon rating?

The link is http://www.bluechunks.net/reef/skimmer

-plat

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a mighty big air value you got there. If you looking for something in the 400 gallon rating I would suggest you consider a dual beckett injector design and a wider reaction chamber.

But what you are building looks fine for a 100 gallon tank.

Here are some pictures of a custom skimmer I had Reef Sciences build me. It might give you some ideas:

rs-skimmer02.jpg

rs-foaming01.jpg

To reach the 300 to 400 gallon rating, just making it a dual injector and making the reaction chamber taller is all that is needed.

Hopefully the pics give you some ideas for your air valve and such.

platapus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that skimmer! You can easily upgrade it to dual beckett - it looks like?

Do they have a website? (Reef Sciences)

what size pump is on your skimmer?

Building a skimmer like this will help me understand what I want when time comes to purchase one.

The air ajustment gate valve I used was something I have lying around, so I choose to use it, although it is overkill ;)

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
platapus":35zq6p4u said:
I like that skimmer! You can easily upgrade it to dual beckett - it looks like?

Correct. All the internal plumbing work is in place. Just remove the plug and screw in the riser tube.

Do they have a website? (Reef Sciences)

No. But they can be reached vai e-mail.

[email protected]

what size pump is on your skimmer?

I use an Iwaki Md55RLT - Fantastic pump for skimmer use.

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pictures of it in action? Your link prompted for an ID & password for several of the pictures.

platapus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
opps - damn IIS!

here are a couple after about 12hours into the break in period. The little skimmer next to it is the one I replced :)

Attachments

• skimmer_large_p12.jpg
    skimmer_large_p12.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 2,021

platapus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the second batch of foam.... It might be hard to tell by this picture, but that is a 4" O.D. riser that the foam is overflowing out of!

Attachments

• foam.jpg
    foam.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 2,011

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks excellent!! I have some concerns on the usage of rubber seals between the pipes. Keep spares on hand. Saltwater/bacteria will dissolve rubber in a matter of months.

platapus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id didnt know that, I will keep my eye one them, I have already began to create the acrylic flanges to replace the rubber boots. I just wanted to make sure that I am happy with the performance of the skimmer before I put a bunch of energy into it!

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a rubberband in your tank for a week or two and see how brittle it gets. Rubber tops on cheap heaters fail for the same reason.

platapus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

It has been running 4 days now, and my living room stinks!

The place were I bought the acrylic cut everything for me, All I have to do was drill a couple of hole, using a hole saw for wood, and a little water on it!

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A carbon filter is critical! My ETS 800 never stank up the room, but the beckett skimmer (pictured above) stunk up the room in days. My dining room no less... didn't feel to hungry that night.

platapus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a carbon filter? Didnt know that :D

MY rouse smell now.! Can you post a picture of your corbon filter? I would like to see what they look like!

THanks

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the skimmer and its waste collector.

rs-skimmer03.jpg

You can see the waste line entering the collector. The larger white part on top is the carbon filter. It is nothing more than a male PVC adapter with a fine net at the base with a endcap glued on with the top removed for a little more height. Just add a few tablespoons of carbon, the net stops it from falling into collector. I would guess I used about 5 tablesspoons of carbon in it. That is enough to remove the smell for several months.

brokekyle

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

platapus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Reefland, I installed a charcoal filter yesterday! I thought I saw some seagulls in my backyard from the stench :)

brokekyle - what size tubing are you first and second risers on that dual beckett? What size pump are you useing to push that skimmer?

I have already started planning to build a compact dual beckett :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: