• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

brokekyle

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
platapus":2zvdqa7x said:
brokekyle - what size tubing are you first and second risers on that dual beckett? What size pump are you useing to push that skimmer?
. :)

6" and 3" riser tubes .. with a 6" collection cup
and for the pump.. there's my problem.. I only have a Mag24 and a Little Giant 5MD-SC.. Both of which don't have enough flow for this skimmer.
In my estimation.. each Beckett needs at least 1000+GPH
and fyi for all...I made this without an airtight housing for the becketts

platapus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is that same size tubing Im planning for my next skimmer.

What size gate valve did you go with, and do you think it is the right size?

Today Im going to start on both of the beckett injectors, I have an idea that I think is going to be easy, air tight, and is going to work! I will document it, and post it on my website....if you are intesrested!

brokekyle

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
platapus":3bhfxliw said:
What size gate valve did you go with, and do you think it is the right size?

The more water you can let out the more water you can let in.. I went with 1.5" gate valve.. but with the right pump for these skimmers you may have to go with a 2" bulk head and a 2" gate valve for the outlet..
VERY IMPORTANT.. build it so you can clean IT!!!!!!
here's a pic with a scale reference..
http://home.pacbell.net/kylesr/myskimmer2.jpg

brokekyle

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
platapus":2cbz6nan said:
what size tank are you running that skimmer on.

the skimmer runs a 125 GAl with a 55 gal sump. IMO it's way over kill and a waste of electricity..My skimmer could easily handle an AMPmaster 3000 or an Iwaki 100RLT. If I had to do it all over.. I would go single beckett with a smaller reaction chamber.. then use the Little Giant 5-MD-SC... If you build this skimmer or one like it.. be prepared for a big pump expense!!

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure 1000 GPH per beckett is an ideal rate. Add a second beckett and you need a kick ass pump. Or two smaller pumps each feeding a beckett which isn't a bad idea either.

brokekyle

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefland":9vxvs8ms said:
Figure 1000 GPH per beckett is an ideal rate. Add a second beckett and you need a kick ass pump. Or two smaller pumps each feeding a beckett which isn't a bad idea either.

absolutely..
In addition he should take in consideration other factors. The current trends in reef keeping suggest only 7X tank volume per hour for skimming (not me) ..so a dual beckett would optimally work on a 240++ galllon tank..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: