• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

heedicus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Help! I am getting ready to do the plumbing on my AGA 125 gallon but need some help. I am going to go with a durso standpipe but cant figure out what size of pvc to use. I wanted to use inch and a half pipe but not sure if it will fit. Anyone have some experience with what size to use? I have check out the durso website but it didnt specify what size to use so. Anyone?????????????????/ any tips?????????????????
thanks all,
tren

Reefguide

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many Overflows do you have? I think 2 corner overflows with 1" standpipes would work nicely... Also you might still need to use the compact version of the standpipes, that use a coupling instead of the elbows...

heedicus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i checked it out bud didnt see any of the size fittings? i could be slow in the head but i never saw any, it seems though that i am only going to be able to fit in 1 in pvc what kind of gph can i expect to get out of 1 in in a overflwo?
tahnks
tren

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I use when building pipes for people (and what I recommend) is 1 1/4 inch schedule 26 PVC pipe and use standard 1 1/4 inch schedule 40 fittings. If you can't find sch. 26 pipe, you can use sch. 40 - it's a lot thicker.

I really don't like the 1.5 inch pipes, they are way to big and bulky and will not fit into the typical overflow chamber without doing a massive hack job on them.

azreefer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rich,

I checked out your site and I am definately going to be building standpipes for my 240 gal. It's 8' x 2' x 2'. How many 1 1/4" standpipes should I use? Also, how many square inches should the surface of the overflow be?

Thanks man!

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
azreefer":ohsbkrx1 said:
I checked out your site and I am definately going to be building standpipes for my 240 gal. It's 8' x 2' x 2'. How many 1 1/4" standpipes should I use?

Can't answer that without knowing how many GPH you are planning on. Two would be the typical number for something in the 1,500 GPH range.

azreefer":ohsbkrx1 said:
Also, how many square inches should the surface of the overflow be?

Not exacltly sure what you are asking for. My overflow chambers are 8x11 which is on the large size (standard Oceanic size). Plenty of room for overflow and return plumbing and still get you hands in when needed.

azreefer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To tell you the truth, I'm not sure how many gallons I need to circulate either. I know I am going to run a seperate sump and refugium so I can run different flow rates through each. I'll be pumping the water from the sump into the refugium and then back into the sump. Do you have any suggestions on flow rates?

As for the overflow size, I was wondering if there is a specific size I should make them for a 240 gallon tank. I noticed that yours are 8" x 11" (88 in2). Would two overflows this size be adequate for my tank or should I make them larger? Thanks for the help! It's greatly appreciated.

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
azreefer":2mkxorzo said:
As for the overflow size, I was wondering if there is a specific size I should make them for a 240 gallon tank. I noticed that yours are 8" x 11" (88 in2). Would two overflows this size be adequate for my tank or should I make them larger? Thanks for the help! It's greatly appreciated.

8x11 would be plenty for a tank that size.

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks nice... thanks for the picture.

Dunno about having clear overflow chambers. Gonna be a hair algae farm in the chambers one day I think.

brokekyle

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefland":mg6oekq7 said:
looks nice... thanks for the picture.

Dunno about having clear overflow chambers. Gonna be a hair algae farm in the chambers one day I think.

I NEVER absolutely NEVER get hair/macro algae !!!
But like I tell every body..I have an unlimited supply of clear plexi..
you made the call

TimBeR

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a little late on this thread but I thought I'd share my pic of the durso stand pipe in action.
I have two 75 gallon tanks both using the stand pipes plumbed to the same sump and they are the AGA reef ready tanks which as we all know are small overflow chambers and I was able to use the 1 1/4" pipe. I folowed Rich's directions as best I could with his sugestion for the AGA mod to make the stand pipes fit the overflow and They work like a charm I hardly had to do anything but glue it together and install them
Thanks for such a great idea Rich,

Here is the pic

dursopipe1.gif
[/img]

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey now, that's a sexy looking standpipe. :D

Thanks for the picture. AGA mod is pretty easy to follow. I use the mod on all standpipes I make for people. If it fits inside that overflow it should fit just about any overflow.

tizme

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefland":10wlozmr said:
AGA mod is pretty easy to follow. I use the mod on all standpipes I make for people. If it fits inside that overflow it should fit just about any overflow.

I'm picking up my first AGA 55 gal tank w/stand. Based on research, I planned on the Sump. We'll be using a Turboflotor 1000 w/R2100 in a 20-gal tank. Lots of folks recommended your design. I've taken a look at the Original, AGA and External designs. I haven't a clue which way to go! :cry: All, but the External, looks like the bottom has to be drilled? AGA bottoms are NOT tempered? Modification to the design? If drilled, where and what size? Bulkheads come in so variety of sizes...recommendation? Obviously, we're very concerned about noise... The prefilter box?! I've read the dimensions, but is this a DIY or a purchase item? Yikes... I'd be happy to purchase the needed standpipe materials from you, but which to buy? What other considerations?

All you help is so appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: