• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

goldenboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to build my own skimmer for my moray eel tank that I am in the proccess of setting up. I searched the site about diy skimmers and found that the beckett and snailman's cc skimmers seem to work very well. I found the plans for snailman's cc skimer but I cant seem to find the plans for the beckett skimmer. Can someone please give me a link for the beckett skimmer plans please?

Which skimmer is better for my application? morays are really messy.

This will be my first diy project and my dad will be helping me since he is very handy with these kinds of things. He can build just about anything.
Are the chances good that my first skimmer will work properly? Or will I just end up spending enough money to buy an already made skimmer because of having to build another skimmer or two do to design errors?
Also what is the approx cost for said skimmers? Thanks for the help. :D

goldenboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help Brokekyle!!! Nice skimmers btw.
I have found plenty of pics of the skimmers which give me a fairly good idea of where some things should go, but what about all of the small unseen parts? Are there any diagrams that have a list of all of the parts that I need, and then say 1. put this thing in that thing then..... and so on and so on? I really don't have any idea of how to put a complete skimmer together. So I really need a diagram.

Thanks!!! :D

goldenboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I managed to find this diagram for a down draft skimmer. I know that the beckett and the downdraft are similar but I am not sure about where the beckett injector goes or even what it looks like for that matter.

Let me know what you think of the diagram. It looks pretty good to me.

Attachments

• d-draft skimmer.jpg
    d-draft skimmer.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 990

goldenboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright!!! thanks for the help guys. Those sites helped a lot. Now I think that I can get this project going without any real problems.

My last questions (hopefully) is where can I get a Beckett 1408 foam jet fountain head? Is this an aquarium part that I can get through my lfs? Or is it an outdoor fountain part that I can get at HD or Lowes? What type of glue do you use to bond acrylic?

Thanks again for the help. I'll take pics and keep you all posted. :D :D :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: