• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

KMTaquarium

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would 3/8" acrylic be thick enough to build a 96Lx24Dx12H all acrylic aquarium?
would it be stable with a 3/4" thick 1" wide wooden brace on top and around top of sides and 3/4" thick 1" wide brace around bottom of sides and underneath?
__........................................__
|i............................................i|
.|............................................|
||............................................||

solid line= wood

thanks!
kevin

SteveP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an acrylic expert, but 3/8" doesn't seem thick enough for such a long tank. I realize it's only 12" tall (You're going to a save ton of money on lighting! :) ), but it's still holding a lot of water, plus rock.

Steve
8{I

Bryan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It MAY be strong enough, but the acrylic will bow out considerably adding a lot of visual distortion to the tank. Basically the tank will be a big eyeball?

highrpm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work as previously stated but the bow will be pretty ugly. My LFS has a 6' tank made of 1/2" acrylic, and it bows out about 3 inches in the center. If you used plenty of acrylic bracing on the top, it may be ok.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 tanks that are roughly 2' X 2' by 12 inches deep. I use them for growout and a refugium. My sump is the same height but about 12" by 5' long. I simply put a cross brace in the middle of the sump and there was minimum warpage. If you cross brace, you should have no problem with 3/8".

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: