• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

tangeray1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i have a 90 gal AGA with corner overflow, i would like to build a Durso standpipe but i'm somewhat confused as to how long should i order plastic pipe. My tank height is 24". But when i was reading richard's website i became confused when he stated ( A small section of PVC pipe may be needed to link this to the male adapter below). Therefore i don''t want to order a short pvc. I do not want to order too long either because i do not have the necessary tools to cut this plastic. I am ordering Plastic pipe because it is the clear type. Haven't seen this type locally. Any suggestions/advice would be highly appreciated. Second question: Would you recommend modifying the AGA Return Pipe? it's not clear regular pvc. Return is 3/4" And drain is 1" hole.
Tanks much

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you already have the bulkhead for your drain? If you use a threaded bulkhead you will need an 'adapter' that screws into the bulkhead, and that the PVC drain pipe will slip into. If you use a slip bulkhead, you won't need an adapter. I have a picture of one (without adapter) at http://wetdryfilter.com/accessories%20&%20clearance.htm.
The height of the stand-pipe is not as critical as the height of the return (if your return enters the tank through the overflow box). The stand-pipe just needs to be a little lower than the water line.
By the way, clear PVC is quite a bit more expensive and unnecessary to make a drain with! But whatever floats your boat! ; ) All you need to cut it with is a hack saw....just sand down the edges.

Christian Schwalm
SkyLab Industries
www.wetdryfilter.com

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell you what length pipe to get because fittings sizes (LxWxH) are different based on the company that makes them. If you already have the fittings (reducer bushing, coupling, tee, end-cap, elbow) for a slip setup. Insert the reducer bushing to the coupling place the tee on top and the endcap on top of that. Measure how tall it is and subtract from the height of the overflow chamber. Now add 1.5 inches to allow for the parts that slip into the fittings.

Based on the parts I get from my local Ace Hardware the pipe needs to be 18.5 inches tall for a slip setup on a 24 inch tank. Could be totally different for the fittings you use.

Don't use clear PVC. It's just going to grow algae and coralline in it which will add friction and reduce water flow.

Save the extra money on clear PVC and buy a $5 hack saw to cut the PVC to the length you need.

tangeray1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you vbery much for your input reefland and Christian. Reef what size drain are you using? Cany i duplicate all your info i have an ace hardware close by. Please list your set up for me including bulkhead or slip? ok i think i'll stay away from clear plastic. thank

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still running the original prototypes I built some 5 years ago. They are different then what I currently make for new tanks and I use threaded bulkheads - so it will be a different height.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: