• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

moreey

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a 180rr from Oceanic (well got it in July and spent about 2 months finding out if my floor could even hold it, funny someone at the pet store didn't bring this up. I live in on the 3rd floor of a 30 year old condo! Spent the last few months getting rid of as much noise as I could)
Filtration: Berlin Method. 150 lbs of liverock and 200 lbs of live sand.
40 Gallon long tank for sump, 2 overflows emptying into it, 2 950 magdrive for returns.
AquaMedic 500 shortie skimmer with a mag 950.
4 azoo powerheads 2 660 and 2 475 (thinking about attaching with silicone to the sides?)
Hamilton MH 2 x 250 14k and 2 x 40 atinics (custome canopy 16" high)

I have fixed the noise problems all the way to where it is emptying into the sump???

Any bad decisions so far?

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are taking things slowly, thats good. As for noise in the overflows (not at the sump end) did you check out Durso standpipes or Stockman modifications? They make life MUCH easier.
http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpip ... _frame.htm

As for silicon'ing the powerheads, don't do it! You need to completely remove them every month or two, take the impeller out and clean them or they will die on you within a year or so (not to mention slow way down).

Sounds like you have things well in hand...

Wade

moreey

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already built the standpipes, the overflows are as quiet as possible, once the glass tops are on, you can't hear them at all. Now just the bubbling and splashing into the sump is the only noise.

As far as the silicone on the power heads, the backs of the power heads are removable, so i can still take them out for maintenance, still a bad idea?

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, should be fine to stick them to the glass, so long as you can take them off to clean them. A razor blade always works well if you have to remove/replace the powerhead too.

Wade

nilestr

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it will work for you but I ran the outlet hose from the overflow into an empty plastic water gallon. Siliconed the hose in the top so it was tight. Then I cut some holes in the part near the bottom of the jug. They don't need to be too big. The more smaller ones seems better than less big ones. The jug sat in the sump with the water line a little below the top of the jug. I then cut a small hole in the top near the mouth of the jug, bout the diameter of a pencil to let air escape.

Doing like this cut down bubbles and quieted my sump up a lot.

moreey

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds great, I am going to give that a try and see how it works.

appreciate all the feedback and always willing to hear new suggestions.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: