• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MandarinFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 acrylic tanks that I would like to join with 1 or 2 short acrylic tubes between them.

I've seen this at an LFS and it looks good. It would extend my 2 shorter tanks and allow me to move tangs over that I don't want to get rid of but would like out of their current homes.

Is this possible?

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
Everything is possible in DIY!

So are you going to use a straight tube, or a huge siphon that does not require any drilling?

MandarinFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know how a huge siphon without drilling would be what I'm looking for.

2 fairly wide-diameter tubes, each cutting into the acrylic sides.

This allows the fish to swim in the tubes.

Think of a big, aquatic "Habitrail" with 2 tubes connecting the seperate tanks.

I guess I don't understand what you mean by siphon....

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
Yeah, I see what you mean with that ASCII-pic, but how are you going to drill the two tanks unless you going to drain them first?

Also, if the tubes are long, it is very difficult to make sure they don't leak when one of the tank shift in position. Tencor make such a connected tanks (hex), have you see it?

MandarinFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tanks are empty now.

It was hoping to get them both cut, the connectors tubes made, the stands and tanks placed,

connector tubes attached to one of the tanks,

then silicon them together when they were ready to go.

Does this make sense?

wickerj

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is acrylic correct?
I'm no expert but here's what I think may work
Drill each tank just a hair smaller than the acrylic tube you're using and join the tube to the tank with Weld-On repeat on the 2nd tank.

Jeff

Enzo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't work with silicone, I tried to glue a 6 inch diameter tube to a bucket and a small acrylis tank(QT tank, prototype design) and that didn't even hold. Silicone is to messy and hard to work with. NEVER work with silicone to glue two things together, unless it is a crack then you are good.... Anyways the way I glues my small tanks together is by first putting some masking or art tape down(doesn't leave the gooey stuff on when you pull it off). Make a circle with a permanent marker and then drill a hole that roughly matches the circle. Then what I did was sand the circle into my tube could barely be shoved in the hole. I then glued it. To make the other hole use another tube that is the exact same size as the first one. This is so you can draw the circle more easily on the masking tape which is on the tank. Then drill the hole and fit the tube in and glue. Let it cure for a couple days and then slowly fill with water. Also I would probably do all the gluing and stuff where the tanks are going to be because moving tanks that are glued with a tube in the middle is a b!tch 8O . After your tanks are full moniter the tank for a couple days to see if it leaks if it does you'll have to empty the tanks and glue them again. Use tap to fill the tanks to check for leaks. And you got yourself a cool tank. VOILA!!
John

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dito to what Enzo said.
I would definately use Weldon or a specialized acrylic glue. Sand the joints with a fine grit sandpaper to create a clean, smooth surface for gluing. Let this setup and then run a bead of silicon around the inside and outside of the joints. Let all this cure for a couple of days and then check for leaks like Enzo had stated.

If you take your time and work slowly you could have a really cool tank. I've seen the Hex mentioned above and it's pretty cool to look at as well.

Have you thought about taking the MACO Acrylic Course? I would imagine you could make some serious systems after that class. I'm signed on and ready to go!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: