• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

curator

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ion Exchange recharge vessels DIY.

I’m not if there are people out there like me using sure the Kati and Ani Ion Exchange Units. If there are maybe you have struggled to find a good holding vessel like I had for the recharge solutions.

DI1.jpg

The recharge can get a bit messy working with Muriatic Acid and Caustic Soda, not to mention ruin clothes. In the past I have used numerous vessels to hold the solutions for recharge but, none had lasted long nor was I happy with the simplicity.

In a recent trip to Wal Mart, found a cheap plastic gasoline can with a capacity of 2 gallons. The cost was about $3 bucks. In addition I bought a spill proof extender which
Came with some nice plastic tubing and the Inside diameter fits snugly around the tubing used for the DI. The extension was another $3 bucks.

DI2.jpg

After my first attempt I quickly learned the spill proof extension was not so spill proof.
It leaked a bit with a pesky drip, might not matter if I were outside but I certainly did not want the acid dripping on the floor. I remedied this by sealing the threads with a two part quick set automotive epoxy.

DI3.jpg

I was able to pick up at a local hardware store. The setting time was about 30 seconds.
Here is the extension after it was sealed, I worked the epoxy into the joint by using a
Plastic toothpick.

DI4.jpg

To control the flow rate, I use what I think everyone does some a small plastic needle valve and airline tubing. It’s worked well to date and I am able to dial down the output fairly accurately.

DI5.jpg

Here is the unit in operation. I elevate the gasoline can with a milk crate and garbage can turned upside down. Near the end some solution remains in the gas can, and I tilt the right side up with some PVC to drain the rest out. So far its been working well with no leaks.

DI6.jpg

and the fill up

DI7.jpg

blane perun

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
Blaine, by any chance, do you do separate/recharge service? I have been looking for people to do it at a reasonable cost, but there is nobody who is willing to go thru the hassle...

curator

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By that do you mean extrude the resin media and replace it
With new for older units, or just recharge the units for operation.

blane

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blane:
I meant to separate the cation and anion resine and recharge them. Back in the old days, SpectraPure used to have this recharge service, but they don't do it any more. I have left with many gallons of mixed resin waiting to be separted and recharged, but with thing that I need to do, I just never have the time and resource to do it like I used to.

curator

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see.
Recharging a mixed bed resin would have to suck. I have one in place
After an RO on a Kent Marine set up. It handles so many gallons I don’t
Mind replacing it after it’s exhausted. However it does not good to anyone
Sitting in a landfill. You can buy the resins, any way to add a second
Container and just separate them permanently.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: