• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ChrisIsBored

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I've got spider light reflectors for my MH bulbs w/ Mogul sockets and was wondering what you guys use for standoffs to attach them to a canopy?

Pics would be cool too if anyone has some. I thought about just screwing it into the canopy with a small piece of wood but surely there's gotta be a better way.

Mac1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I'm just finishing up my new hood for my soon-to-be-de-comissioned 90... And am actually kinda proud of the way I hung the reflectors. I use PFO's, but they're basically the same idea. There are 4 holes in each reflector, two at each end. So I went to the Hardware store and spent about 20 minutes in the "Fasteners" section. They had some machined aluminum parts that fit the bill perfectly. BTW, the LHS was Lowe's:

3/4 long, female-threaded Alum. Screw, rounded, smooth head.
1" long male and female threaded standoff.
1/2" long male threaded screw, flat head.

Placed the reflectors where I wanted them, marked the 4 holes in each one, took out my drill and drilled 4 holes for each one, slightly thicker than the 3/4 screw I was dealing with. From the top of the hood, going through the top plate, I placed the smooth headed screw. This positioned the female threads inside the hood. I screwed the 1" standoff, Male thread, Into the female end of the 3/4 screw. Incidentally, the top plate of my hood was 3/4" plywood, so I sized things to fit my conditions.
Then, I balanced the reflectors on top of the 1" standoffs, and simply screwed the 1/2" male screw into the female end of the Standoff.

Crude ASCII drawing:

_
----/ \------------
| | plywood
| |
---- || ------------
||
||
___||_______
Reflector

And the 1/2" bolt came in where the "fl" is in Reflector....

If that makes any sense :?

It allowed for plenty of room for air to circulate, got the lamps an inch closer ;), and since it's aluminum, shouldn't rust. Availability might be hard in your area, but you could probably find similar parts/pieces to construct a like contraption.

- Mac

Mac1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so the drawing didn't come out very well.. let me know if that is clear as mud.

- Mac

ChrisIsBored

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8O

I get the general gist of it. Your description should help me figure out a plan. I'll have to stop by Lowes to see what type of material I have to play with. Thanks!

btw.. any pics of it?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: