• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

moreey

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having someone come out to build a custom hood for my 180rr. Anyone have any suggestions. What I am most concerned with is heat. I will have 2 x 250 mh from hamilton and 2 x 48 tubes. I was planning on making the hood at least 12 inches high, should I go higher?? Fans on both end, open back.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
moreey":1zcg72ct said:
I am having someone come out to build a custom hood for my 180rr. Anyone have any suggestions. What I am most concerned with is heat. I will have 2 x 250 mh from hamilton and 2 x 48 tubes. I was planning on making the hood at least 12 inches high, should I go higher?? Fans on both end, open back.

Just make sure you keep those MH bulbs at least 7 or 8 inches off the surface of the water. If you make the hood 12" high, how much further would your sockets and reflectors be to the surface?

texasreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have no problems w/ heat running the fans. If the tank is 6' long I would recommend using 3 250W Mh so you will have a light every 2'. I built a canopy for a friends 75G and it has 2 175W MH, & 4 110W VHO's w/ no problems from heat. Just run your fans so they are blowing in cool air into your canopy.

kycoralhead

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if you will have enough light with just 2 MH, 3 would be better but if $$ are a factor plan the canopy to be able to add them later. Most vendors for a 180 would use a sealed top with a fan on one end blowing in and a fan on the other end sucking the air out. MH will put some heat that will transfer to the water if allowed to stay under the hood.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: