• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

31-2c

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attention Carpenters

I am planning on making a stand for my 55g tank. This is a standard 55, 4ft long 12' wide.

My plan is to use 4x4's for the legs. 2x6's for the cross members

My question is Do I need to have any center supports (legs)

There isnt a ton of room under a 55, and I would love to go without the center braces. My intentions are to use a 29g tank for a sump.

If anyone has plans for a stand for a 55g tank that does not have center braces, I would love to see them.

Any suggestions are welcome!

M

Marrowbone

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i made my stand for my 75g out of 2x4s with 1/2" plywood around the outside and included center uprights, which i now wish werent there.

if i build one again i will get rid of the center upright in the front and maybe step the "header" across the front to be a 2x6, i dont see how it could hurt...

i cant imagine anything stronger than 1/2" plywood screwed into a 2x4 frame on all sides. its the plywood that really makes it strong, the 2x4s form the skeleton and make a solid place to sink your screws into.

i could post more details on my design later if you need... it is overkill, but i like it.

by the way i did NOT save money making it myself, but it was fun and it is custom made and ROCK solid.

...actually what i need are some of those hidden kitchen cabinet "hinges" for the doors that dont rust!

M

Marrowbone

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...figured out how to edit this duplicate post... but not how to delete it or prevent it in the first place... *sigh* noob!

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the test at the bottom of the screen you'll see:

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

M

Marrowbone

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm... i see, i missed that...

thanks reefland.

im looking forward to building one of your standpipes soon... but we can talk about that later )

M

Marrowbone

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(sorry to continue off topic 31-2c...)

... thanks reefland for the warm welcome

im new to the whole reef bb thing... i am finding this site to be very valuable and inspiring. ill fill in my profile soon and share some of my tales of woe (and success).

by the way, as a point of reference, i sit across a cubicle wall from the elusive beerbaron all day, and i have him to thank for pointing me your way...

texasreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
31-2C,

It also sounds to me that you are way over building your stand. You should be able to park a car on it. Like marrowbone said you could use 2 x 4's and wrap it w/ plywood.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: