• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fuzzy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has probably been asked before. I am interested in building a plywood tank, but have never talked to anyone who has done it. I've read a few articles on how to build, and it doesn't seem so bad. So for those of you who have done it would you mind sharing some insight, plans, and pitfalls. Did you use epoxy to seal the tank? Where did you get it at?

mongo

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a search to find more details on this but I've had luck with using A/C grade 3/4" plywood, a frame made of 2x4 and then many coats of 2 part epoxy. The epoxy I use is available from http://www.aquaticecosystems.com, do a search for "paint". The 240g tank I built required two 1 gallon kits for full coverage. Some people fiberglass the wood joints before painting, I never have but it's probably a good idea. Finally, depending on the size of the tank you might want to consider acrylic instead of glass for the front. The bigger the tank, the more cost effective acrylic is. Glass will be heavier, easier to work with and scratch resistant. I've used acrylic and have been happy with it - one small scratch on one tank so far.

fishguru

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem you may run into with acrylic in a larger tank is the bow factor. the more the tank bows the more stress will be on the adhesive that adheres it to the front of the tank. if the tank bows out in the middle, it will tend to bow in at the edges. now granted there are a lot of variables, but something to keep in mind-Guru

mongo

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the design. If it is properly designed with the right braces it won't bow. My 240gallon (8x2x2) bows less than 1/8". If built impropery glass will bow also. In fact, if your tank is going to bow you're better off with acrylic and acrylic adhesives than glass and silicon.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: