• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it depends on how tall you're going to make the tube. I was on Marine Depot and the Korallin Calcium Reactor that is rated -400g is only 4.5" diameter and 15.75"H. The one rated -800g is 4.5" diameter and 29"H. This is total heigth as well not just the tube. We will be using 6" diameter tube which will allow for alot more media.

So, I guess my point is to go as tall as you can and I think you'll be fine. As Fergy stated on another post. If it isn't big enough sell it and build you a knew one. You'll have all the skills too.

Here is a link to that reactor I was describing....
http://www.marinedepot.com/a_cr_korallin.asp?CartId=

msorenson

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my question is ... does the second chamber have any benefit except for doubling the holding capacity?

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second stage works as a plug-flow reactor, which is a different type than the recirculating, or CSTR-style. Basically, the theory is that it's buffering the low-pH of the water exiting the first stage, increasing the pH, scrubbing what little excess carbonic acid or CO2 is still left, and maybe adding a little more alk and calcium to the effluent. As for doubling the media, I think you would refill the first stage about a dozen times before you even burned halfway through the media in the second stage. So, which is working more effectively?

Your system can take the low pH and the CO2 coming from the effluent, if there is any CO2 left. Usually this just off-gasses where the efluent drips into your sump. Also, remember, corals require CO2 for the light-phase of calcification anyway, so it's really a mute point, IMO.

Rodney Andrews wrote a good article on all this, I'll see if I can find it for you.

BRIAN

Bill2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like adding some CO2 to my tank. It spurs my macro algea and gives me another nutrient export.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: