• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ger

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a wood stand for a 500 gallon acrylic aquarium. The dimensions are 10' x 2'. The top is made of a sheet of plywood and sealed with epoxy. After putting the aquarium on it seems that the top of the stand is slightly bowed which leaves me with an approximately 1/8th inch space between the top and the aquarium base on both the left and the right hand side. My question: is this to much for the tank (is there a risk it will crack?) If yes, any suggestions on how to fix it?

fishguru

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the stand bow really depends on wether or not you want to buy a new tank shortly down the road. 1/8 is a pretty big gap given its a 10' span. I personally would shim it Extensively on each end, then put a thin sheet over all of mess to give a nice true flat surface. This woould be my best suggestion. the other option not as good of one is to take a 1/4" sheet of Foam and place it over the entire surface. this is not a sure fire solution but if the shims do not level it properly it may be your only other option short of re-building the stand. Hope this gives you some ideas-Guru

teddibear703

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remember those times in the past when you thought, If i only went back and spent the extra time to make something right, i wont have that problem now. I am probably the laziest man, and i always think should i fix it now or later, and I always do it later. Then saying to myself should have done it right the first time. :lol: You should get it fixed. Level it, maybe a styrofoam sheet. 500 gallons is a lot of weight, and just think about the amount of $$$ lost if it broke or leaked. Always do something right the first time. GOOD LUCK with your tank! post pics... Joe

texasreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/8" over a 10' span is not that much warp. When you put a 500 gallon tank w/ water, sand, & rocks on top of it you have a lot of weight. The weight should be enough to compress the stand and flatten the warp out. If you look at a board they are never completely straight. That is why when you build a house on the roof rafters you look and see which way the board is warped and put the side that is warped up. Then when the weight of the roof settles on it the rafter will straighten out. You can try and put some thin shims underneath the ends of the stand to try and help raise the ends up and straighten the stand.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know the stand is warped. Did you use a straight edge or level? It could be the aquarium. Is the bottom straight on the tank?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the answer from the horses mouth: Call the tank manufacturer and tell them what you have. I would imagine they will tell you to get rid of the gaps. A 500 gallon aquarium would take quite a chunk of change to replace. Not to mention everything that could possibly be ruined by being flooded with 500 gallons of saltwater. Sure, it might be ok but is it a chance you want to take?

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
I would call the manufactor like JBB said, but I am sure they will not be very happy that you did not buy the stand from them, or have it done professionally.

With all disclaimer, I will make sure it is the stand (and not the tank) that is not flat (most likely the stand, but I had seem several acrylic tanks that is not flat) You can use plane down the top and repaint it if it is your fault, but wood and acrylic is flexible, and when you fill it up with water, it will bow the other way.

ger

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody for the help. As it turns out, it's not the stand that's warped but my floor. I found out when I pushed the stand with the empty tank on top a little further to one side. All of a sudden the 1/8 inch gap is at a different spot. I am glad I figured that out, now I just need to figure out how to level my floor... :roll:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: