• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jedwards

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I've been lurking around here for a couple of months but this is my first post. I just started my first salt-water setup in Janurary in a 55G tank, and I've done most everything wrong so far. ..

I didn't realize that what I want is a reef aquarium and what that meant as far as filtration, lighting, etc until I had an established tank. and so I've been backfitting ever since.

I built a light hood and have 4x55w pc lights.

I built syphon overflow and sump last week and have it running on a fresh water test right now, its working, it seems quiet enough, I think I'll need a bigger pump though. (I'm running a 402 pwrhead for the return pump.)

Now I'm trying to figure out the skimmer and I think I've narrowed it down to one of three choices.

Reef devil

Lifereef

or a DIY based on a beckett foamer

Both of these skimmers are rather expensive for my budget, but the plans I've found for the beckett seem to lack detail. I want this thing to fit in my 28" tall cabiniet and I want it to be quiet. I'm interested in your experiences, anything that might help me make a choice.

Thanks,

Jim

jedwards

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gather from some of the discussions I've seen that maybe the beckett is too big. Has anyone tried using the 1/2" fountain heads Ie seen from Oase and Nursery pro?

lemonyx

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There,

I have a diy beckett and sized it to my cabinet height, 25". But to compensate for that, it has a longer "down" tube, about 14". With the beckett in place and the hose barb screw'd on, it's almost as tall as the skimmer. So, you can diy but have more room custonize it. By the way, if you are going to diy, your riser's would be only 4" instead of 6" like mine. So the size will be small, in foot print but not so in height.

Most of the infomation on the diy beckett is on Reef Central. :D
HTH 8) 8)

lemonyx

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wanareef":2rstf94e said:
Hi There,

I have a diy beckett and sized it to my cabinet height, 25". But to compensate for that, it has a longer "down" tube, about 14". With the beckett in place and the hose barb screw'd on, it's almost as tall as the skimmer. So, you can diy but have more room custonize it. By the way, if you are going to diy, your riser's would be only 4" instead of 6" like mine. So the size will be small, in foot print (base)but not so in height.
Checkout "skimmer 101" by snailman. It tells you on graph size of tank, then size of material and so on. Do a check on the diy threads back to june or so, lot's of guy's making the skimmer.

Most of the infomation on the diy beckett is on Reef Central. :D
HTH 8) 8)
any ? just PM me

arnjer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for plans that are very simple for a skimmer. I have never built one before and am not running sump. I have an old10 gal i could put under the tank. The tank is not drilled and I don't want to drill it. It's a 90 gal reef. If anyone could e-mailme plans it would be much appreciated.

Thanx

Jerry

[email protected]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Platypus, that's one hell of a skimmer you built there. Good job!

Louey

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: