• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Hi all.

I'm thinking of maybe building a new stand/canopy for my 125 this fall and setting it up in place of my 75. I have the option (assuming I can talk my wife into it) of going through a wall into a small utility closet underneath a stairwell for the sump.

I'm a moderately capable hand with powertools and have built stands before, so I'm going to do this job custom. Here's the problem I'm trying to work around: I don't really want a canopy that lifts on a hinge, and I don't really want anything with doors on the front edge of the canopy. I know that doesn't leave me much in the way of options, and to be honest, I can't think of any at all. Does anyone out there have any good ideas for a canopy that's capable of housing 2x MH and at least 2x VHO that doesn't weigh a ton and is adequately openable to access the tank for routine maintenance? The way I see it the traditional hinged canopy is kind of a pain to open and close all the time, but a fixed canopy with doors on the front edge becomes a super hindrance when it comes time to rearrange rockwork.

Also, for the stand itself, what's the preferred method of construction nowadays: frame with external sheeting or use the sheeting itself as the load-bearing members (with adequate support)? I'm leaning toward a frame construction, but again, am open to suggestions if anyone else has good ideas.

Thanks!!!
:-D

John

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you don't use canopy at all and hide the light fixture (pendant maybe?) into the wall trim on top of the tank. You can even make it so the pendant is flush with the trim. Things you need to consider is to provide access to the pendant when you need to and provide ventilation fans in the wall recess so it doesn't heat up your wall frame and supports too much.

Bobzarry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your building into a wall and have the space you may try building it like french doors that will slide to the sides.

Bob

chance_11

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharkky,

I have built a few stands/canopys and one of them I am very happy with. The canopy is a basic box like most are. However, there's a cut in the canopy about 5 inches back from the front. The cut runs lengthwise alog the tank. Then I attached it to the back part of the canopy with hinges. So basically the front of the tank folds out and up. This gives you clear access to the tank fairly quickly and easily. The other thing I did was to replace the standard pin in the hinges with a cotter pin. That way when I want to remove the canopy completely, I pull the three cotter pins, lift the front off, set it on the floor. This also makes the remaining part of the canopy lighter. I can lift it off as well. Hope that helps.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: