• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this website of Plastic Suppliers. It's only organized alphabetically, which is a pain, but I have found one local supplier for the Weld on #4 without a min. special order of $75-100 like some of the websites. I'm sure you can also find local suppliers for a bunch of other acrylic pieces, cutting, etc...

Some of these have been wholesalers, but sometimes they will work with you.

Basically click on the link, use your search function under the edit button, and type in your city for each page. This may take a while, but most of the Dallas stores are not found in my Dallas Yellow Pages or anywhere else that I can find.

Hope this helps some....

http://www.plasticsusa.com/database/

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, for you DFW metroplex folks ALLIED PLASTIC SUPPLY, INC has the Weld on #4 and #40 in stock. They'll sell it individually as well. They are located at I35 and Walnut Hill. The number is 972/392-2708.

Mirdok

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal Plastics in Phoenix has 8 kits left of the Weldon #40. The #40 seems to be the problem one, as everyone else locally has the Weldon #4 but not the #40.

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal is a good company. There is also a Denver branch, and several others around that area of the country. They do have a website which will give you local contact numbers, I believe.

BRIAN

Unresistible Blue

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called around Cincinnati today, and Dayton. I got the telephone equivelent of a blank look everytime I asked for Weldon #4 or #40. A number of places had #3 - noone had 4 or 40. How critical is it to have 40 and 4, rather than 3?

Got the same reaction when I asked about 3/8" cast, colored sheet material. Best I got was an offer to sell me a 4' x 8' sheet.

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#4 is a slower version of #3. You can use #3. #4 works better for the technique we'll be using.

#40 is a 2-part polymerizing cement. Here's something to try: http://www.ipscorp.com/ind_html/index.html

We really want to use #40 for this, but...

The phone number for the IPS is 800-421-2677. Let's all start calling them, and asking for local distributors of their products. They will also set you up with national sales locations. I've done this in the past. You can also ask about #4.

If we continue to have problems finding #40, there is a substitute, but it is not as good for this. You can look for either Weldon 4502, and I've used Weldon 1802 in the past. Weldon 10 will work, but it's NASTY to work with.

BRIAN

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I found a mail order supply for Weld-on http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25482

I emailed IPS looking for a local supplier and they were very quick to respond with their best shot based on zip code. Unfortunately, that didn't work out for me, but it feels like they'll be very responsive to direct contact.

Good luck.

Hal

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Response direct from IPS recommending a supplier in the Dayton, Ohio area.

I do not have a disttibutor in Toledo that carries those products. However,
we do have a distributor in Huber Heights (near Dayton) that normally stocks
both of those products. Please contact Scott at Meyer Plastics -
937-237-8520. If we can be of further assistance let us know.
Regards,
Bea Hampton

Beverly Thompson wrote:

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Subject: Looking for local source
> Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:32:41 -0500
> From: Hal.Mann
> To: [email protected]

Unresistible Blue

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed IPS, and they refered me to the same place in Dayton. Called them and they have it all!

Now to try and find the 3/8 inch colored, precut cast sheet. Still no luck on that front.

reefdiver2

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Just a heads up! I ordered the Weldon from the place that Hal recommended.

Call "Craftics" at 505-338-0005 and ask for Tracy. The pint of #40 cost $18.80 and a pint of #4 cost $10.00. So, with shipping to CT, I think it cost me around $37.00! Not bad at all.

Good Luck,

Steve

powersdj

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, :D
I ordered the Weldon from Tracy at Craftics also. She asked if I was ordering for the e-class, as she has been getting quite a few orders from us. I purchased a pint of #4 and #40 for $40.00 including shipping no hazmat fee.

-Dave

Eboman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup...I got mine from Craftics also.

All I said was that I needed to place an order for an "internet class" and she did the rest. She knew exactly what I needed.

Good deal!!

Thanks,
Eboman

mgk65

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craftics had a$50 minimum; I'm glad they are not honoring that. :)

Outside of this class, you can purchase the 3/8 from www.lairdplastics.com They are pretty good to deal with around the mid-west, anyway.

mgk

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around here, Laird are a bunch of idiots who don't even know the difference between cast and extruded, and never have anything in stock. Whenever possible, I try not to deal with them. Make SURE you specify what you want when you order.

BRIAN

King Jason

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We bought all Craftics's Weldon #4, and #40! I just called to get mine and had to backorder it. She says she is getting more in next week.

Eboman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian,

You should definately call. She told me when I ordered that she wanted to meet the "big-hunk-of-a-man" that is teaching the acrylic class.

She said she has a thing for guys with scars on their fingers from router bits.

hehehehehe

I think I must have been inhaling too much Weldon fumes...

Eboman

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: