• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bvgoor

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm fairly new to reef aquarium, and still in the learning process, but I could use some advice,

I,m planning to setup a reef tank, I allready own a 100 gallon tank, I would like to use a sump type setup, but my problem is I have plenty of room on the same level behind the show tank, but haven't any room under the tank,

My question, is it posible to have a sump on the same level as the show tank.

Thanks in advance

Bas

SteveP

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they can be at the same level. The return pump will work the same way, and the display tank will siphon the same way as it would if it were higher. The siphon action will work to try to keep the water levels of both tanks at the same height. Take that into consideration, btw, because once the pump is turned off the tank levels will continue to siphon until they are at the same level. Make sure neither of them overfills!

Steve
8{I

bvgoor

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve,

Thanks for the information, I see your point in to be carefull for overfilling one of the tanks,

But what would be the best way of draining water from the show tank to the sump ?

I didn't mention it before but the show tank has a hole in the bottem, not used now!

Thanks again.

Larry Grenier

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You first need to define "same level". Do you mean the top of the tank or the bottom. To put it another way, are both tanks the same height?

bvgoor

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I didn't supply sufficient information,

The tanks have the same height, how ever I have the option to install the sump tank on a higher level than the main tank, if that's beter or helps please let me know

Thanks,

Bas

csanchez77

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you intend to connect the two?

If the 100 gal is existing, I would recommend drilling and placing a bulkhead in the back, elbowed upward. In the case of the pump loosing power, the water in the display tank will not fall below the rim of the standpipe (or elbow in this example). If you place an overflow, then the water level will not fall below the rim of the overflow, regardless of the level of water in the sump.

Chris

csanchez77

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank has a hole in the bottom already...perfect.

The point I am trying to make to avoid what Steve describes is do not setup with the use of a siphon.

Whether you have or dont have a an overflow box, place a bulkhead and standpipe in the hole and set the standpipe such that the water level in the tank/overflow will not go below that point. This setup will work on gravity alone (no siphon).

The other thing you need to do is size your sump so that it can hold the appropriate volume of water for both operating capacity and additional water from a power outage (as there will be some).

This will prevent you from overflowing your sump.

Chris

bvgoor

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but i'm a little confussed :? right now,

I tought I had to make use of the siphon effect to keep the flow from the main tank to the sump tank going, and a external pump to return from sump to main tank.

Thanks again,

Bas

csanchez77

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need a siphon. Gravity will do the work same as if the sump was below.

Gravity will want the water level in your sump to be level with the intake to your standpipe.

dsb1829

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can connect both tanks through the hole in the bottom of one or drill them closer to the surface. No matter. Gravity is your friend. So long as the rims of both tanks are level the water will not overflow either tank. It then becomes a matter of water exchenge between the tanks. Simply put a pump in the sump. Providing the plumbing between the tanks is sufficient there won't be any problem doing this.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: