• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

TuffGong

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to save myself some money and have a diy skimmer on a 20 or 30g tank I may set up. However, can a skimmer be built that would work on such a small tank? I also don't want to have to invest in some huge pump to get a high enough flow. I don't know much about this, and am wondering if this would be a practical use of a DIY skimmer. Thanks.

Enzo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going to build a DIY skimmer try to model it exactly after a popular skimmer. I would personally model it after a CPR backback because I would think that they would be the easiest to model after by. Just get a rio 600 or a maxi jet and your all set. I would think that the reaction shamber would be the hardest. What I would do is to buy an actual CPR backpack and figure out all the measurements. When you are done just return it. But don't use the skimmer....

TheRookie

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at doing a DIY for a 30 myself recently. I quickly found that buying was almost the same price as building for that size. Just order one off the net. [/quote]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: