• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

blade

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need to bend wood for a stand and canopy for a bowfront...any ideas on how to do it? i was thinking about tracing the curve on a 2x8 then putting some glue on it and clamping a 1/2 in think peice of oak on it and wetting it down until it bent around the curve....think that will work?

thanks for the imput

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
Cut vertically on a plywood without cutting thru the side to be stained. The resulting plywood (looks like one of those belts for your car) can be bent.

Enzo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way is using masonite or boiling the whole peice of wood. Atleast that's how people do it when making a halfpipe. I hope this helps. John

Enzo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually my way is easier, Your way you have to cut and there is a chance of cutting your hand off, my way all you do is go to Home Depot get a bucket of masonite, which is like 5 bucks and then pasting the stuff on the wood, then you can coat it with a nontoxic epoxy or something but anyways, you can also get a huge pan and put water in and boil it and put the piece of wood in then and then shape the thing. :lol: :twisted:
John :idea:

StirCrazy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blade":qz4405fh said:
need to bend wood for a stand and canopy for a bowfront...any ideas on how to do it? i was thinking about tracing the curve on a 2x8 then putting some glue on it and clamping a 1/2 in think peice of oak on it and wetting it down until it bent around the curve....think that will work?

thanks for the imput

when you clamp it put a few Tea kettles under it to make steam and put plastic over it all to hold the heat in. are talking solid Oak or plywood? if it is plywood you can use 1/4" and it will steam quaite fast.. solid wood takes longer but if you are doing smaller chunks like a 6"X 1" strips you can make a steamer out of a large abs pipe.. put a cap on one end and then put the kettel under the other end and let it go for about 4 hours.. when you take the wood out quickly bend it around your form and let it dry.

Steve

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OPI, DIY = Do it yourself.

Technically speaking, as long as he is making the purchase himself with his own hard earned money, it could be considered DIY. :twisted:

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danm:
So what is not a DIY? If I drove to your house, and haul your pond away in the middle of the night, I still do it myself, didn't I? I guess I can email someone else to steal it and drop it off at my place, then it is not a DIY? :twisted:

I sloted a small ply wood with a hand saw, and that's pretty much as dangerous as moving the canopy out of your car without dropping it on your toe! If you are close by, I would be more than happy to do it for you if you bring the material to me. My method costs nothing more.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O P,

What you are referring to is kerf bending, and I agree with you that it a great way to make bends in stock too thick to typically bend. Steam bending is always a PITA and usually involves getting frustrated and scalded. Also, steam bending doesn't work with plywoods, IME.

Another way to bend wood for bow fronts is to use a laminate bending technique. I used 1/8" baltic birch plywood available at wood specialty stores. Basically I cut a temporary form in the shape of the front bow and cut 2 sheets of plywood. I then slathered on a layer of wood glue between the sheets and clamped it to the form until the glue was good and dry. After the glue dried it held the shape.

-Lee

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if this will help or not, but the easiest thing might be to use 1/8 plywood. In some places its called door skin. typical sheet is 3' x 7' it normally is flawless and made from birch. I use it for model boats, I've dry bent a 20" x 36" piece approx 4" over a span of approx 12" with no problems(with the grain). So a bend of say 12" over a 3' or longer span will be very simple. Of course, it won't offer much of anything toward structural support, but you can frame behind it to your hearts content.
PLaces like Lowe's or Home Depot normally stock it.

Good luck

Enzo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O P Ing,
I think you have issues. Anyways about the whole DIY issue, Buying a stand is not DIY but the part when you buy the stand is DIY so it is partially DIY. I think is would be easiest if you went to a lumber yard and asked for bent wood. If they are bent to muah then you will only have to steam a little to have it to your desired angle. IF they are bent to little just bend them a little more. It is cheaper and easier, you get the best of both worlds, but I still thnk Masonite is the easiest way, but not the cheapest. Masonite aslo does not warp or bend the wood in weird shapes, so all you have to do is cut out the exact shape and then apply masonite. It is simple as that. Also another addition to the meaning od DIY, DIY means generally something that you build that can be bought in a store. Here is my 2 cents worth...
John

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John,
I admit that I can be a bit of an donkey-like in this board. There are certainly many good ways of doing things, and each has its own merits. Sometimes people just get too myopic and have too strong of an opinion about how, why, and what to do, but as long as people don't get too personal about comment, readers of this forum will be benefit from different approachs/methods. My 2 cents worth.
bye -ck-

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danm:
So what is not a DIY? If I drove to your house, and haul your pond away in the middle of the night, I still do it myself, didn't I? I guess I can email someone else to steal it and drop it off at my place, then it is not a DIY?

ROTFLMAO

I'm not much into woodworking, don't have the time or the space. I just had to comment on the above! :lol:

I'n not much into DIY either, so 7, if you don't mind, go ahead and pick up Dan's pond and deliver it to me. He'll prolly be glad that his algea issues are finally in the past! :P

Louey

Louey

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I went there last weekend, and almost got myself killed because the pond was not ground properly! I am not going back there to his place again!)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: