• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

SteveA

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the ballasts, sockets (x2), bulbs and reflective material (polished aluminum?- very light and easy to bend) and now need to install it into some sort of hood (48" btw). I also bought a 3" fan. My first thought was to tear apart a 48" plastic NO fluorescent light kit and use the plastic exterior. Bend and cut the reflector to fit inside and bolt the sockets to the top. Also cut out a square, probably in the middle somewhere, for the fan.

(Further background - 75G, 48", has a large lid covering the top, there will also be a 48" 2x55W PC light kit with 50/50 bulbs in the back, MH lights to go in the mid/front)

My concern, having never had MH lamps before, is that the plastic cannot handle the heat and melts despite the reflector and the fan.

Any thoughts? Is wood a better alternative?

VPWoodwork1

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize your original post is from Aug but If you use the plastic strip that sits on the tank you will have problems. Either build a canopy for your lighting or buy one. MH's should be mounted atleast 8" from water to bulb. This is for light dispersion and also helps with heat staying out of tank and gives you room to mount fans. With a canopy you will also be able to remove the glass tops to help with gas exchange and cooling.

Glenn
www.aquarium-stands.com

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: