• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

beno

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a sketch of my sump that I will making in the next few weeks. This is my 1st sump and I hope I am doing it somewhat right. I have been looking at all the other designs that are on the web and I think it will work. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 838
  • sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 835

Gary_T

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recomend using bulkhead fittings to feed the pumps, rather than the over-the-top setup you have. This will make the pump self priming. The setup you have there will be difficult to prime and get all of the air out of. a bulkhead will also reduce the amount of resistance in the plumbing, and make the pump slightly more efficient.

wickerj

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for a sump? Glass or acrylic?
I agree you should use a bulkhead if possible. If you cant you'll need a T at the top of your plumbing with a cap on it so you'll be able to prime the pump.

Jeff

SeanT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I would recommend you not putting your refugium in the middle there.
The flow rate would be too fast for your fuge.

kycoralhead

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone about the bulkhead. If the water level goes down with the bulkhead, you will only suck air. Also depending on what size pump you use, you may not be placing too much water across the refugium. Most of them are designed to have a lot of water moving across them. It might be a better design if you skimmed the water after it went though the refugium. The algae will be able to use the nutrients instead of the skimmer getting them. Also you will not need level control if you sump is big enough to hold the water from the tank in case of power loss. That will save you some $$$ in equipment.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: