• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

_ShotgunShrimp_

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinking about makeing a custom tank.. i can get all the glass free :) so what im wondering... brace's itll be just a bit thicker than 1/2 glass and want to make it 6LX2.5Wx2 tall think 2 6" wide braces spaced at 2 foot intervals is enough.. also could probably put a 2 or 3" brace on each end to support there also... thoughts? ideas??

LFS42

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most braces on aquariums are mearly decorations.
Silicon will hold the glass just fine.
I would just add some 2-3 supports across the top to keep it from bowing.

suckair

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
center braces on tanks are not decoration! you should of seen the galss bow on my 105 after the center brace poped.. I had to use a clamp! Many sps tanks use parameter bracing "looks like a picture frame of tempered glass" so you don't need the center brace. If you can custom order strips of tempered glass and use parameter bracing that is what I would do! My 120 has a brace and I hate it.. they get dirty and suck up your light.. After the 105 brace poped the replacement tank was special ordered without a brace from oceanic it used 3/4 glass and no center brace.. I like it much better. The braced version used 1/2 glass

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: