• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I safely cutout a part of the manufacturer's acrylic top to my 125 gallon tank?

I need to make room for access to an internal overflow I want to add.

Here's a rough sketch of the existing top and the cuts I propose to make.

I'm waiting for plumbing parts before I decide the actual dimensions of the overflow..

Appreciate any comments / suggestions.

Thanks.

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bill,

If it's acrylic why not just drill the tank for a bulkhead.

Good question. That was my original strategy - keep it simple. I set up a test tank to see how well that would work. It just didn't seem like the bulkhead/strainer at the top of the tank sucked in the surface area (surface protein) nearly as well as an overflow box did, so I decided to go the whole route. I'm drilling the back bottom of the tank for two bulkhead's and installing the overflow box with two standpipes (modified Durso). Does that make sense?

Thanks.
Hal

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
Most commerical tank have a relatively thin top and narrow catwalk that the cut shown is not a good idea unless you only want your tank to be half filled at all time.

Try to use a smaller, more accessible overflow design, or widen the access hole so that the bracket will still be there.

Bill2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the bulk head is in the side use a street elbow. It's an elbow with a male threaded part.

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bill2,

Great minds think alike <bg>! Ordered it from an online plumbing supply company the other day. Just waiting for it to come so I can see how far it's going to stick out from the bulkhead. If I'm lucky I just may get away with fitting this whole setup into the existing cutout.

BTW, just signed up the the calcium reactor class. That'll certainly be interesting.

Take care,
Hal

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bill2,

Great minds think alike <bg>! Ordered it from an online plumbing supply company the other day. Just waiting for it to come so I can see how far it's going to stick out from the bulkhead. If I'm lucky I just may get away with fitting this whole setup into the existing cutout.

BTW, just signed up the the calcium reactor class. That'll certainly be interesting.

Take care,
Hal

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: