• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the prices we've been able to get for the powerbuy. Unfortunately, we aren't able to get cheap prices on the Little Giant pumps. Champion tends to have the best prices on these, so check there.

Eheim 1048: $55.00/, quantity of 8 needed.
ARM: $14.00 - 1 gal, quantity of 22 needed.
Regulators: CO2 Solenoid regulator with Needle Valve - $130 (12+),
AquaMedic Regulator $72.50
CO2 tanks: 5# tanks are $79.95 at 3 or more

These prices are from Inland Reef, a sponsor of Reefs.org. Please contact them via email or phone, as many of these items are not offered on their website.

www.inlandreef.com
(603) 889-REEF
Ask for Tom

BRIAN

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regulators: CO2 Solenoid regulator with Needle Valve - $130 (12+),
AquaMedic Regulator $72.50

Do we need both of these or is the one with a needle valve just a little fancier?

Louey

mattboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, but I imagine the solenoid is for automated CO2 shut off with an electronic ph meter. I'm planning on skipping that, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I've dealt with these guys at inlandreef. They really know their stuff, so I bet Tom has pretty specific info about this. I like this place; they helped me with a PC mod for my old eclipse hood "back in the day" ....

Matt

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aquamedic unit is just a regulator. The other unit is much nicer, and has the needle valve and solenoid attached. I'm not sure of the state of the solenoid, but often they are used so that they are normally closed, meaning that they must have power to them to let gas through. IF this is plugged in to either a controller or the wall, they will turn off if power to the unit is interrupted, as in when your power goes out...

BRIAN

msorenson

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this work with the Dwyer Flow Meter? Is this something we need to get in addition to the regulator and needle valve?

~ Mark

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The regulator will work with the flowmeter. The setup with the needle valve doesn't really need the flowmeter, though many people are choosing to replace their needle valves with flowmeters.

Basically, the flowmeter has a needle valve built into it, plus the meter.

BRIAN

msorenson

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Little Giant Pump should we get? There seem to be four in that category?

2MD
2MDSC
2MDQ-SC
2MDQX-SC

Thanks,
Mark

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI,

I just called Tom and gave him my order for:

Eheim pump
ARM
CO2 Solenoid regulator with Needle Valve

Hal

mattboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi;

I called Tom as well, for the eheim pump, ARM media, and maybe a regulator. But, I'm undecided about the regulator. For example, there's an M3 regulator, with needle valve but no solenoid, at Marine Depot for $109. How important is the solenoid? For example, let's say the power goes out. Is the CO2 flow a real problem in that event? I.E., can it blow the reactor due to pressure if the gas is flowing in, but no effluent or circulation?

Supposedly, the M3 regulator is better quality than the aquamedic, because you can adjust the pressure into the reactor, where as the aquamedic is a fixed pressure.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Matt

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the regulators: I suppose fixed pressure doesn't really matter, so long as it's set around 20PSI. I'm betting it can be adjusted, but you'd have to know where to look, and it's probably an internal setting.

Regarding the solenoid: I don't use one.

Regarding the Little Giant: 2MDQ-SC. The X model is for circulation.

BRIAN

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: