• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

WadeATL

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am purchasing a used Tenecor 180 Aquarium that is not RR. I placed an order for two corner overflows (7x9") and 1.5" bulkheads with standpipes from wetdryfilter.com. As I was talking over the dimensions with Christian I started having terrible visions of how I was going install the overflows and access the stand pipe with the acrylic top on the aquarium. I am hoping that someone has done this before or has ideas. I am starting to wonder if I wouldnt be better off using a large center overflow with two bulkheads so I will have access to the overflow from the top of the aquarium. By the way this if for a FOWLR.

Thanks for your help,

Wade

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
If you don't want to cut access hole on the sides of the aquarium, the center overflow is a good idea.

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Wade,

I'm doing the same thing to 125 gallon. Here's a link to some other discussion we've had about this. There's a diagram there of my top.

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23564&highlight=

After messing with this for weeks, I've decided to do the following:
1) Build an overflow that will be approximately 5" deep by about 11" wide. This will fit very well underneath the existing cutout on the top of the tank, giving me access to the overflow plumbing.

2) Plumb the bulkhead through the back bottom wall of the tank where it'll run into the sump. I was going to put two bulkheads and Durso standpipes in the overflow, but the space between the tank and the wall doesn't allow for connecting both to the same pipe going into the sump. So I'm settling for one bulkhead and standpipe inside the overflow.

Here's some initial discussion on whether to put an internal overflow in or not.

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23148&highlight=

Take care,
Hal

WadeATL

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guy's.

Hal,

Are you putting the overflow in the corner or middle of the tank? If so are you planning on being able to put your hand in the 2 1/2" or so opening to adjust your durso?

Ideally I would like to put them in the corners and am now thinking about using the idea in one of the links that to put the the elbow inside the tank (pointing down) and the durso outside the tank (since I have plenty of room behind the tank). Really wishing I would have just purchased a RR Tank.

Still looking for any more recommendations.

Thanks,

Wade

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Wade,

Are you putting the overflow in the corner or middle of the tank? If so are you planning on being able to put your hand in the 2 1/2" or so opening to adjust your durso?

Overflow will be attached to the back wall of the tank underneath the oblong cutout on the back right of the tank. Yes, I believe I'll be able to adjust the Durso as necessary.

I'm putting a Durso pipe inside the overflow, but also plumbing into a T with a riser outside the tank to allow for extra air, just in case.

I'm hoping to get to draining my existing tank and start the actual overflow installation / plumbing this weekend. Although I've tested the setup in a plastic tub, I'm anxious to get on with the "real thing". When it's all over, I wonder what I'll wish I had done differently .

Take care and good luck.

Hal

WadeATL

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hal,

Thanks again for all your help. I am all set on using the wolfman design with just the 90 degree street el in the overflow and the rest of the durso standpipe on the outside of the tank. My only question now is the plumning parts. I was planning on using 1.5" bulheads.

Will I need a double threaded (inside and outside threads) on the bulkhead?

What size of street el would I use on a 1.5" bulkhead?

What size T and and PVC should be on the outside of the tank attached to the bulkhead?

Thanks again,

Wade

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Wade,

I'm not familiiar with the Wolfman design, but sounds interesting.

Also sadly, I can't help you on the other questions. I can tell you I've heard that you should get your bulkhead first, measure, and then cut your hole. Apparently 1" bulkhead can have drastically different hole sizes from manufacturer to manufacturer. I've heard many people cry when they cut their hole only to find out the size wasn't right.

For my setup, I'm going with 1" bulkhead (1 3/4" diameter hole in tank). My bulkhead is double threaded (inside 1" female pipe thread on both ends of the fitting). I then have a 1" male x 1" male pipe thread going into a threaded 1" adapter x 1" slip which slides into a 1" T. Seems like more fittings than I should really need on the outside of the tank, but that's what I ended up with to make it fit in the space available.

I'm putting mine together this weekend and hope it all goes well.

Good luck with yours. Maybe others here can chime in with more specific help to your situation.

Take care,
Hal

WadeATL

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hal,

Thanks again, I was actually not asking about the hole size I know it will be much larger than the 1.5" bulkhead. My question was to I have to oversize the T and standpipe as most Durso users recommend.

I've attached a picture of the wolfman design. I would use a full corner overflow instead of the small overflow. The link on the discussion is below

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t ... highlight=

Attachments

• overflow3.jpg
    overflow3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,627

Jrsydevi1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wolfman,

I have mine constructed exactly like yours shown above.. but I get an ungodly amount of burping air bubbles entering the sump.

My bulkhead is 3/4.. and all the fittings are too.. the pipe at the bottom of the Tee adapts to a 3/4 barbed fitting attached to clear vinyl hose down to the sump.. entering about 1 inch below the water level..

Lemme tell you.. it's LOUD.. like boiling water... the vinyl tubing is never close to full of water.. and seems to convey as much air as water down into the sump..

Am I missing something here? Do my pipe/fitting diameters need to be altered? No matter how I adjust the air-intake, it makes no difference..

Only when I adjust the return to an unacceptably meager flow does the GLUB-GLUB stop..

0db

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jrsydevi1":3hrijj9f said:
Wolfman,
Am I missing something here? Do my pipe/fitting diameters need to be altered? No matter how I adjust the air-intake, it makes no difference..

Only when I adjust the return to an unacceptably meager flow does the GLUB-GLUB stop..

I have little experience in these matters, but you may be able to put a ball or gate valve on the bottom end of the tube to restrict the output, and by doing this you would force the entire tube to fill with water. If you tune it right it shouldn't reduce water flow, since you would only clamp it down enough to stop drawing air down the line. Anyone think this might work?

Qwiv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put a gate on your return. i tried that once and it was a mess to deal with. I fixed the problem by adding more flow, ie upsizing my pump. the added water filled the pipe and silanced the noise. 8)

dsb1829

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you really need to be able to access the plumbing. I don't have full access, but enough to get the plumbing in and out. That is really it. Eventually a fish my get into the overflow as well. It is really a pain if you don't have full access and the overflow is deep as well.

Here is a shot of the add on overflow for my 16g cube.
front view:
overflow%20box%20copy.jpg

top view:
overflow%20box%20durso%20copy.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: