• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Casie

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't rain today so I got in some practice time this afternoon. No major injuries, so I would consider it a success!

I'm gonna share a few pics with you guys. Feel free to offer any constructive criticism or suggestions as you see fit. I'm here to learn.

(My "partner in crime" in these pics is my betta half, Gabe.)

The sheet was just too big to handle in the little woodshop so we drug it all into the garage. After we got all this stuff moved outdoors, Gabe mentioned that his skill saw and a new blade woulda been easier. So I think next time we will try setting up a simple guide and run a skill saw over the sheet.

Set up guides at both ends and tested with the blade down to see if the plexi would pull along it easily. Nothing bound up, and the sheet pulled easy enough.

Looks good. Ready to cut! Blade height at 1/2" for our 3/8" sheet.

Suprisingly nice cut, I think. I could just imagine the sheet shattering or the blade binding up! But it went pretty darn good.

Up close view to show blade marks. Its rought to the touch, but not as scarred as I thought it would be.

Another cut and shavings from the tablesaw. The shavings were not as thin and plyable as I expected them to be. They felt a little thick and...kinda crispy. I think my cuts were on the verge of being a bit too hot. Maybe I should have tried to move the material faster? I heard a guy say he soaped his blade and used water to keep the plastic cool?

Getting the feel of the router table. I got the wrong router bit from Home Depot. Hopefully the correct bits will come from Bellew Tools soon. (I ordered 2 bits from them about a week ago. My credit card shows a charge, but they have not shipped yet. Have you other Bellew shoppers got your bits yet?) Anywh0, Gabe assured me we didn't need the bearing bit to play around and make some peices for test-glueing. And he was right!

That was easy! Now my turn to try!

Much smoother. The router really makes that edge nice.

Oopse, spoke too soon. The last practice peices didn't go as well. At first I blamed the build up of shavings getting in the way for the bad cut. So I cleaned the table off good and went at it again.

What a nasty bump. Even with the table clean and with me being very careful with where I put pressure to guide the material... every once in a while the smaller (4"x8") pieces of material will lurch forward a fraction and the bit would gouge the edge. Do I just have learn to control it better, or is there a trick to smaller pieces?

These router shavings look much better than the ones offa the saw. These don't look they get hot at all. I'm fairly confident that the problem is not from the bit or router not cutting properly.

Ok thats all! I cut several small peices to try some weldon 4 on later. And I cut the sides and bottom for a 8 gallon box too. Should be fun!

powersdj

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Casie. I ordered a bit from Bellew last week as well, still hadn't shown up so I called them yesterday and they said it was on the way. Last night I got an email with a tracking number from them supposed to show up on the 11th. You might want to give them a call. Your cuts look good for your first try hope mine turn out that good also. Let us know how the weldon goes. Now that Mardi Gras is over I might actually make it to class. Talk to ya then.
-Dave

Casie

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heehee! Mardi Gras Rules! Too bad I couldn't make it south this year. =/

Please let me know how your cuts go. I'd love to figure out why I'm having problems on the router cuts.

Oh! And you were right about Bellew. The bits arrived today and I still haven't gotten confirmation of shipping. =)

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those cuts look perfect. Crosscutting is always tricky, and that first cut looks bad sometimes. But your trim cuts look perfect, as do the shavings.

A suggestion. Don't wear gloves with the router table. They are not going to protect your fingers from a router bit, generally, and they can make it harder to control the material.

Freehand cutting is HARD to avoid getting bumps like you did. You'll get a feel for using templates, and straightedges. For example, using a flush trim bit with the bearing on it, you can stick a straight peice of metal or wood to the plastic with a bit of doublestick tape, and the bit will follow it. No divot.

The router shavings look perfect from a smaller router bit.

BRIAN

Casie

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All router tips are greatly appreciated! I definately will be doing more practice cuts with the router before attempting calcium reactor pieces.

I don't feel like I have good control of the material but I can really see where the router is going to be a very useful tool in any future projects that I do. I think, like you said, getting more comfortable with the templates and using the bearing guide better is the key.

Thanks again. =)

Casie

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using a regular spiral cut flush bit without a bearing. The bits from Bellew tools arrived so now I know I have the correct bits. That should make the cuts a lot easier. =)

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular cpiral bits can be grabby, which is why you were having those problems. They tend to suck the material into them as they go. A straight bit probably wouldn't have done that much.

BRIAN

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: