• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Saturday is my only time to get started on my canopy so I am kinda posting this late. I am NOT a carpenter, but I will try to make sense of my plans. Any help would be appreciated.

Tank frame is 41x17.5. Frame is .5 inches thick.

I plan on using 3/4 inch plywood (will it look nice painted?) (suggestions on other wood?)

I want it to open from the front. So I figure that the top and side will be hinged and sectioned together. (3 hinges enough?)

End peice will be made of 10x6 and 6x6 peices on each side.

Front and back will be 41x6.

Top will be two sections, 41x11 and 41x6.5

This should put the canopy ceiling 10 inches over the top of the water (too high? too low?)

Suggestions? I know that it is probably confusing to read or hard to imagine, but I dont know how to draw pics on PC. Not good with them much either?

I will be cutting holes for fans too...is two small fans ok?

Do I need some sort of framing to hold it all together?

Mac1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest making some sort of frame out of 1x2's or similar, and then skinning it w/ plywood. It would be a later safer/sturdier IMO, and be easier to do (you can dress up any corner's w/ a little molding easily, too!). You can also use a thinner kind of plywood, as the weight/structure will all be elsewhere.
Personally, I don't like the look of painted plywood. If you're going to paint, get something like Wainscoating or other 'detailed' sheething, or buy finished grade plywood and stain it a nice color, several coats of plyeurathane.
A lot of people have had good luck using epoxy paint on the insides, as it's a super-water-proof protective layer. You just have to cover it w/ paint/ploy to protect it from UV if using Halides. BTW, what kind of lights are going in here?
I would try and put some reflectors inside as well, and take that into consideration when building.
2 Fans should be enough for VHO's or PC's, but if MH's I'd look at some additional venting options. They are pretty easy to accomodate however - just drill a hole the same diameter as the Fan, and screw it onto the outside.
Good luck! Take your time and be patient. You'll be kicking yourself down the road for all the corner's you try to cut now.

- Mac

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on using 3/4 inch plywood (will it look nice painted?) (suggestions on other wood?)

On a heed that I recently built, I used oak plywood and stained it.

This should put the canopy ceiling 10 inches over the top of the water (too high? too low?)

Depends on the lighting. On the hood I recently built, I made it 14" tall so that the MH bulbs would be 8" above the water.

Here is a link to the thread that shows pictures of the hood I recently built. Maybe you can get some ideas from it!

Good luck!

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe MH bulbs should be kept 8" above the water. So you have to figure in how far your sockets will stand off off the top, then measure how far from the top of your tank the water level is. Also are you recessing the hood to cover the top rim of the tank? If so you'll need to add the dimension to the front and side pieces of your hood.

HTH

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I measured for the canopy to sit on top of the frame, instead of around it. I just got back from HD and see too late your advice about 8 inches. Hopefully I can get it close to that. I am considering 2 CPU fans in the back for circulation. If the lights are closer to 6 inches off water, would getting another fan help?

I certainly dont have the money for a chiller.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the CPU fans are to noisy. The $7 clip on fans are quiter and one replaced two CPU fans. Can you fit a cip on back there? If so, I think you will like it better.

Plenty of people run MH bulbs 6" off the water w/o problems. I just decided to go with optimum with no risk of the bulbs getting wet and exploding. But I'm sure you'll be fine.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I got the material and most of the cuts made. Started out with the canopy being 6 inches tall, that made lamps about 6 inches over the water. I decided after the first cut that I wanted it to be taller. Cut and painted them all before I decided to do something about it. Now it is 10 inches tall and that puts the lamps 10 inches off the water (too high?), I may put a board inside the canopy to lower the lights an inch or so.

I am excited, this is starting to take shape. I jury rigged a frame to use the lights I bought yesterday. I got a deal on a leather and a xoo the other day that I could not pass up knowing that I had lights coming this weekend.

If I have 2 175 watt MHs over my tank, is there anything that I would need more light to keep successfully? (ie clams?, hard coral?)

Thanks for all your help guys. Especially you louey.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: