• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cybershark

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fergy
What type of skimmer are we going to be making for the next class. I'm sure that it will be a beckett but what I was woundering is? well single or double injection? I remember the pics of justions Single beckett and wades double beckett and I would really like to make one like wades or even larger . 8O
Thanks cybershark
P.S. We are going to do the 300 gal sump as the next class right. :D

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For simplicity's sake, and cost, I think I'm going to stick to a single for this class. I don't want to have multiple sets out there. Wade's skimmer is a single, BTW.

Yes, it will be beckett-based, and there will be several size packages. But using multiple injectors means a different set of templates. If you think about it closely when you get the parts package, you should be able to make your own templates for a dual, using the single injector template. It will just take creativity on your part. That's what will make this the advanced course for you ;-)

BRIAN

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fergy,

Can you give us some idea about the footprint dimension and the overall heights that will be available?

And what is the largest size tank that the largest skimmer that we can make in the course will be able to handle?

Louey

mattboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian told me at some point that the footprint for the smallest skimmer would around 7"X12" plus a gate valve. Something like 28" tall, and fed by a big pump; mag 18 or equiv. I'm thinking this is too big for my 100 gal system, and am considering making a smaller skimmer (4 1/2" tube) along with the regular skimmer for the course. I found a good local souce for small quantity of 4 1/2" cast tube, and I think I could use some of the templates we already have, and maybe just get a circular template cut at the acrylic store for the smaller tube. One thing I like about this idea is the smaller pump I could use to drive it.

Then I could try each skimmer and sell/trade the one I don't want, or just put it up on a shelf. What do you think Brian, is a 4 1/2" cast tube skimmer worth making? I think the EV skimmers are this size.

Thanks, Matt

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, IM<HO, those skimmers suck. ;-)

This one won't be too large for your system, you can always tune it down, and have the oversize capacity for an emergency.

BRIAN

mattboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a seemingly stupid question. The flow through my sump is about 600gph. If the skimmer pump is drawing almost double that, how does it affect flow through the sump? Let's say I run the skimmer next to the sump, on the right side. This is the side water drains to from the tank. The water then flows over a baffle. Should I plumb the skimmer so the inlet and output are both before the baffle? Will I be re-skimming a lot of the same water?

I understand that once the skimmer fills up, it will be putting an equal amount of water back into the sump that it draws; i just can't see how I'm going to get a continuous flow of new water to the skimmer.

On a side tpoic, I welded up my new sump over the last few days. I used the pin method, and got mostly good joints (bubble free) But, I'm starting to see how you need a good flat surface, like a decent bench, to make those long joints between the bottom and the sides really clean. I set up a frame of 2X4 on my floor, which is not flat, put my pins in, and wedged a bit of cardboard wherever the pins felt loose. Shot the solvent, pulled the pins, weighted it down. It's not going to leak, but the damn bubbles are still there. The side joints, which I did one at a time, came out great. It's that last big joint between the bottom and the rest that's trouble. I know we touched on this in the chats, but is the only answer a really flat workspace?

Thanks for answering all these questions between courses, Brian!

Matt

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for long walls like that, you not only need a flat surface, but for the best seams, you apply a clamp at least every 6", with very slight pressure. You can use straight boards to help distribute the force from those clamps, as well.

The water flow will be fine. The skimmer will just be, in essence, recirculating sump water. There should be no issue there.

BRIAN

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this skimmer going to be an in-sump or stand alone? If not an in-sump will the modifications be as simple as adding a submersible pump?

When do you think we'll have the pump recommendation for the skimmer? I'm needing to purchase my reactor, return and hopefully now a skimmer pump for this new setup I'm putting together.

Man, I think it's going to take me a year just to get this new tank just right before I even get around to putting water in it! :roll: But this is the fun part right? :P

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you started this thread Cyber. Lots of the same questions I had.

Now...Brian, I've only got 24" in my cabinet. Can I just make my skimmer shorter? AND, it'll still work ok?

Looking forward to this coming class. Louey and I will try and behave ourselves this time, right Louey? (I've heard the trout police are looking for someone!)

Take care,
Hal

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing will change. The first person to enter the class late on the first night will get trouted. Same as last time. If no one shows up late on the first night, then Hal retains his earned previledge, and will get trouted each remaining class. :P

Louey

cybershark

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fergy
I am going to be placing a order for some acrylic and pvc parts for another project next week . Can you tell me more about what we will be needing for the skimmer class? A shopping list so to speak . Also I'm not sure really what I will need to do different as far as size and parts go since I will be making a dual beckett setup for my 405gal. setup

Thanks cybershark

mattboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to the size of the skimmer, 7X12 plus gate valve and pump, it looks like I'll be going outside the sump. In fact, I ended up making the sump a couple of inches shorter to get a solid 8" or so of stand space to put the skimmer. I'm not really a fan of submersible pumps, so I guess I'll have to plan for another bulkhead in the sump. Here's a question, though. Can we run a flexible hose up from the gate valve, over the sump wall, and back down to the water surface? Or is there something about the skimmer drain interfering with skimmer peformance if it's diverted up? Maybe I'm just thinking about water level interfering with in-sump skimmers.

As in the calcium reactor class, I'll be trying to minimize the footprint.

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends on how tall of a skimmer you're making. I'll teach you how to really set your skimmer, so you get good skimming, unlike these other skimmers out there. You'll be running a higher water column height in the skimmer than you'll think at first.

As for the flexible hose, you can also use PVC to do that same thing. Remember that the drain on this will be 1.5" PVC, so take that into account.

BRIAN

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: