• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Richardthesecond

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,
When I started my 90 gallon aquarium last summer I decided to use power compact lighting: two 55W actinic and two 55W whites. I now want to add metal halides to the mix, and have built an oak aquarium cover box for the new lighting.

The new cover is 5' x 18"w x 10"d, and will house both the power compacts as well as two 175W halides. I hate the idea of drilling holes in the top or sides for ventilation fans, both for reasons of asthetics as well as noise . . . the aquarium is in the living room. Would simply sawing a series of slots in the back of the cover (which is only an inch or two from a wall) ebe nough ventilation? Is there some way to have passive ventilation in such close quarters? Is ventilation needed to avoid damage to the tank or simply to prevent overheating the water? I do have a chiller, and have been told I might not have to worry about ventialtion. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Richard

mattboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on the ambient temp of your room; here in Texas, my tank would cook w/out fans on the lights. If you're going to vent, I would suggest leaving the entire back open and venting the top. BTW, the icecap fans are supposed to be pretty quiet. I hope so; I just bought 2 for my new light hood.

HTH Matt

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: